brisket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crash1292

Reaction score
I made a brisket and it turned out tender and tasty
first I marinaded it in a mix of jerky seasoning and a couple of home brew pale ale for about 4 hours.
then I put it on my smoker using charcoal briquettes for a hour.
then into a 200 deg oven for about 12 hours,until internal temp was 185 deg f.
let cool, cut up and pig out
not too smoky and tender

I too am a fan of using the oven for long controlled slow and low, I use mesquite or some strong wood for an hour or 2 top get lots of smoke over the short time.

I usually do the oven first and finish with smoke, though.

I love Smoking so even though the oven is great for consistent temps, if you can get a nice smoker that is insulated, there is nothing better than letting the brisket come out with a smoke ring.

Now that I think about it, I think i need to plan something for this weekend. :)

I bought a propane smoker for those long, consistent smoke sessions. It's come in handy so many times I couldn't even count them, especially since I smoke multiple briskets for our parties and my wife usually has the oven used up all day anyway. Speaking of which, I need to find a good local butcher before Saturday, going to smoke 3 briskets on a mix of applewood and mesquite. I can't wait!

I too am a fan of using the oven for long controlled slow and low, I use mesquite or some strong wood for an hour or 2 top get lots of smoke over the short time.

I usually do the oven first and finish with smoke, though.

It really is best to smoke first though. The meat can only take in the smoke flavor at the start of the cooking process. After that it is just flavoring the outside pretty much.

It really is best to smoke first though. The meat can only take in the smoke flavor at the start of the cooking process. After that it is just flavoring the outside pretty much.

+1 Smoker first. The meat only absorbs smoke when the meat is cool. If you do it backwards you're basically making a charred roast, not BBQ. Might as well finish it on your Weber.

+1 on smoking first. I can hold my temps without much ado and frequently wrap the brisket in tin foil after 4 hours (fat 50-75% rendered) to preserve the juices in the meat.

If emphasizing the pink smoke ring I leave open but add a pan of water nearest intake for steam/moisture.

Another +1 on smoke first. Smoke is mostly absorbed in the first few hours. To speed things up smoke for a few hours then wrap in foil and throw in the oven.

I compete in BBQ competitions. We have always done extremely well in Brisket. Here is what we do to prepare a competition Brisket. I always try to get CAB (Certified Angus Beef) briskets because CAB briskets are marked with the slaughter date. I have found through experimentation that aging the meat for two weeks post slaughter makes for a very tender brisket.

I always inject briskets to get a little more flavor in the brisket, but most importantly to get some of the phospates back in the meat that were lost when the animal died. The two injection mixes I use are Kosmos Q or FAB B Lite.

I only smoke full packers, that is a brisket where the point and flat are still connected. We never trim the fat cap, we only remove the thick layer of fat in the middle of the point so the brisket flattens. We slather some yellow mustard on the brisket to act like a glue for the rub (don't worry, you will never taste it). There are a number of rubs we use, but my favorite is The Slabs "Wow Up Your Cow". It gives a good flavor with a little bite and why reinvent the wheel by making our own rub. We do have our own rub, but I like The Slabs.

We prepare our smoker to smoke at 225* (it's gonna take some time) and smoke with Cherry and Apple woods. We have a number of smokers. We have a Lang 84 stick burner, (2) Extra Large Big Green eggs and a Spicewine Medium Insulated Smoker. For Brisket the Spicewine is the smoker of choice because it burns charcoal and allows us to use wood chunks. We do this because we add only enough wood to smoke for about 3 hours. Over smoking can cause your brisket to take on a bitter taste. You also do not want any white smoke if you can help it. We are looking for light sweet blue smoke. We allow the meat to cook to 185*. As you are cooking please do not open the smoker every 10 minutes to look at the meat, remember, "if your look'in, you ain't cook'in".

When the brisket is at 185* we remove it from the smoker, place the brisket on some aluminum foil and add a little more rub. We cover the brisket in foil and place it in a well insulated cooler (we use a cambro) and let it rest for an hour or two. The Brisket will continue to cook in the cooler and the finishing temperature should be between 195* and 200*, the perfect temperature range.

When we have finished resting the brisket, we collect the liquid and mix it with a little FAB B Lite and warm it up to make an Au Jus. We place the brisket slices (no thicker or thinner than a pencil width) in a garnished turn box and brush on some Au Jus. The Au Jus will make the brisket glisten and add quite a bit of flavor. No sauce for brisket in our camp.

This will get you beefy, moist and tender brisket every time, competition style. Anyone for a throw-down?

700_P1010016.JPG

PS: We always take our slices from the flat. We also like to give ourselves every advantage to win so we always give the judges a treat in our turn-in box to go along with our slices. We separate the point and flat and chop up the point (we use the point because it is usually loaded with fat) into small cubes. We re-season the cubes and smother them with BBQ sauce. They go back into the smoker and we raise the temperature as high as we can. We cook the chit out of them (when this meat is over cooked it get very tender). When you remove them you will have the tastiest "Burnt Ends". The Judges love them.

We were playing a game of pick up in a suburban neighborghood, when Michael Jordan stepped onto the playground and silenced everyone.....(but arturo)

;)

To say that cooked meat can't retain smoke is preposterous.

It may be better to do it the other way, but I get great results either way.

If they only retain smoke in the first hour or 2, why smoke meat for 12 hours?

Waste of chips? I doubt it.

Cooking in a smoker or actually smoke for 12 hours? Smoke after the first couple hours is pointless but keeping it at that temp is important. Many smokers don't need to make hardwood smoke in order to cook.

Good answer dataz722.

For chicken wings or Pork loin(not for pulled but cooked until just barely done) I will still smoke the whole time.

For ribs or BBQ, I will consider smoking first.

Really the reason to oven first, is so that the inside of the house doesn't smell like smoke. (I have a SWMBO or I wouldn't care)

Really the reason to oven first, is so that the inside of the house doesn't smell like smoke. (I have a SWMBO or I wouldn't care)

I understand that completely. It is the reason I keep it on the smoker the whole time. I have a UDS and just add about 2 fist sized chunks of wood. They only last about 5-6 hours probably. The charcoal is what does the cooking.

Sawdustguy, I just ordered the sample bag of Kosmo's Q, I cannot wait to get a brisket going for the new years eve party! I will likely be ordering the 2 lb bag after trying it wont I?

Sawdustguy, I just ordered the sample bag of Kosmo's Q, I cannot wait to get a brisket going for the new years eve party! I will likely be ordering the 2 lb bag after trying it wont I?

More than likely. I did the same thing. I ordered the sample and as soon as I used it, ordered the 2 lb bag.

another must tip for me, take the fat side and cut a checkerboard grid though the fat but not into the meat making about 1" squares. Provides faster rendering and traps the liquid fat against the meat longer. This side faces up for the first 3-4 hours depending on the rendering time.

Picked up 2 five-pound briskets at a butcher in the city today, which happened to be right next door to my favorite bar (blind tiger), so naturally I went in for a glass. Will have them in the smoker early tomorrow morning!

1) Name the date!
2) Burnt ends are fantastic, and I'd argue the best use of the tip.

That was back in 2007 at the Battle of the BBQ Brethren BBQ Contest. I recall taking Reserve Grand Champion and taking 1st in the Brisket Catagory. We only won $1500 that weekend but had a blast. We don't compete because of the money, we just love to party but if we win a little something....bonus. We are actually much better at Ribs. It has been a long time since we have finished out of the top 10 in Ribs. I can share that recipe if anyone wants. The way I look at it is if you give 10 people a cake recipe, in the end, you will have 10 different cakes. We never had any competition secrets.

Gentlemen here is our Competition Rib recipe:

We purchase full spares and cut them down ourselves into St. Louis cut ribs but the recipe will work well with full spares and babyback's as well.

The first thing we do is wash the ribs off with plain water. We then turn them over and remove the membrane using the blunt end of a spoon and some paper towels. Once the membrane is removed we trim off anything that is hanging or looks like it doesn't belong. We then pat them dry.

The next step is seasoning and dry rubbing. We start off by slathering the ribs with a coating of plain yellow mustard (no Greg Poupon please) to act as a glue for the rub to adhere to. Next we put a lite coating of kosher salt and ground black pepper. The rubs we use, usually do not contain salt. If you wish to use a rub that contains salt, simply apply a lite coating of ground black pepper only. Now it is time to apply the dry rub. We do not believe in re-inventing the wheel as there are many great commercial rubs available today. Some of the rubs we have used successfully are Head Country, Smokin' Guns Sweet Heat and Spicewine Hen & Hog Dust. We apply the rub liberally to both sides of the ribs. We then wrap the ribs in some cellophane and allow them to sit for two hours in an ice filled cooler.

It is now time to prepare your smoker to smoke at 225*. We use charcoal as a fuel and add enough cherry wood to smoke for 3 hours as we do not want to over smoke the ribs. Please note that we are looking for sweet blue smoke. We will remove the ribs from the cooler and put them in the smooker once the acrid white smoke has subsided.

We will let them smoke for 3 to 4 hours (let them smoke without opening the smoker, remember, if you are look'in you're not cookin). At that time we will open the smoker and give them a lite spritz of apple juice (Apple Juice in a spray bottle) to help keep them moist. About an hour after the spritz we open up the smoker and slather with Parkay, we then apply a liberal coating of brown sugar. We are trying to layer the flavors.

In about 30 minutes to an hour it is time to start checking the ribs for doneness. The way we check our ribs is by grasping the end of a rack; if the rack bends at a 45* angle the ribs are done. We are looking for ribs that are to KCBS Judging standards. This means that you should be able to take a bite and the meat should pull away easily from the bone without taking additional meat from the bone. The KCBS dictates that ribs with this character are at the correct doneness. We cook to the KCBS standards because we are competing. If you are looking for fall off the bone you can cook them longer.

When we have determined they are done we slice the ribs using a Granton Slicer or an Electric Knife. We dunk each rib in the BBQ Sauce and let them drip over a bowl until a the dripping has stopped. The sauces we use are Head Country, Blues Hog or The Slab's "Complete your Meat".

Thats it in a nutshell. I hope you enjoy the recipe. It you have questions you know where to find me.

700_P1010014.JPG

Thanks for the insight Saws. Glad to know "falling off the bone" is not encouraged.

Arturo,

When competing in a KCBS (Kansas City BBQ Society) sanctioned contest they instruct the judges on how they want the Que to be judged. The rib bite and pull away is just one of many. In the end, most of your marks are based on taste and tenderness.

Of course Saws, this is understood.

Just making the comment because it seems many folks feel "falling off the bone" is good Q. It's interesting to note that KCBS does not.

Of course Saws, this is understood.

Just making the comment because it seems many folks feel "falling off the bone" is good Q. It's interesting to note that KCBS does not.

When I first started competing I too was suprised to find out that falling off the bone was considered over cooked. When ever we have a family gathering I have to over cook the ribs because the rest of the family likes them that way. I remember growing up, when my pop made ribs he would boil them first. Now I cringe to think all of the flavor he boiled out of the ribs. I guess thats why he used to smother them with sauce. I like my ribs non sauced with just a sprinkling of Willie B's Burbon Rub after they are done.

I'm guessing not many entrants use the foil technique at these comps.

Cool. I hate the foil technique.

You are correct. Foil simply speeds up the cooking process. The problem with using foil is that it is real easy to over cook the ribs. The only time we use foil during a competition is when we rest our brisket or pork butts in an insulated cooler. Otherwise it would get real messy in the cooler.;)

I like to foil my ribs after the first couple hours just because I think ribs can easily get too much smoke and have the smoke flavor be over powering. Just personal preference.

I like to foil my ribs after the first couple hours just because I think ribs can easily get too much smoke and have the smoke flavor be over powering. Just personal preference.

That is easily solved by technique instead of foil. We smoke using charcoal and wood chunks. We add only enough wood to smoke for 2 hours. We also do not insert the Ribs until we have achieved sweet blue, not that white acrid white crappy smoke. I personally do not like the foil because you are actually steaming the meat which is why they cook much quicker in foil. If you like falling off the bone ribs, foil is your ally. In comps falling off the bone is marked down as being over cooked.

Latest posts

Back