Preboiling hard water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkandrust

Reaction score
My well water is very high in Iron,would preboiling my strike water and letting it cool to strike temp have any positive effect on my beer?...I have been tasting a slight off tatste in my beers that I have narrowed down to my water..

as far as I'm aware, boiling your water isn't going to do anything to precipitate out iron. In contrast, it will probably make your problems worse, since you'll be concentrating the iron content through evaporation.

my tap water here is substandard for other reasons, so I've opted to build my water from scratch using RO water & salts. Water & Ice stores here sell RO for .40 / gallon, and the cost of the salts for even moderately hard water are negligible. For less than $9.00 I can custom build all the water (mash, sparge, & top-off) needed for a 10-gallon batch and precisely control the flavor profile (among other things) as well.

to remove iron you would have to add sodium hypo (bleach) (allow it to sit for 10-30 minutes of contact time) to precipitate out the iron, then, run the water through a filter, to remove the precipitate, then run the water through a carbon filter to remove the chlorine.

lot of work if you ask me. I would just buy RO/distilled water.

Back