Just when ya think your got the basics down....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummer3

Reaction score
Okay, I admit it, I f***** up! Just looking for a bleeding heart to tell me it'll be okay. Why I did it I don't know but it happened when I racked my american pale ale into the secondary. When I was going to add the dry hops I remember reading that you should put them in a hop bag with a weight to sink the bag. I thought this was a good idea but in my haste didn't think it through. I used an unsanitized (miason?) cheese cloth type bag. now it's just floating on top( must not have used enough weight either) Laughing at me!
Whats going to happen here? Anyone. :mad:

there should be enough alcohol in the secondary to stop any infection(i hope)
i guess you will have to wait it out - watch for any unusual growths(mold)
good luck

Chances are that you will be just fine. There is a concern about contamination here, but luckily beer is less susceptible to that than wort. When I dry hop, I actually put the whole hops in w/o any bag. I then attach a boiled muslin bag or cheese cloth at the end of the racking cane when racking.

I have a related question...When dry hopping do you sanitize the hops somehow? They have to have loads of bacteria on them.

Hops are naturally antibacterial. They help preserve the beer. Just throw the hops in as is. No sanitation necessary

Sweet, Can you smoke them to get rid of infections? Because I have a nasty...well I shouldn't talk about that;)

fifelee said:
I have a related question...When dry hopping do you sanitize the hops somehow? They have to have loads of bacteria on them.

If you are concerned about that, you can steep them in hot water for a few minutes and add that water/hops mixture to the beer. But as it has been pointed out, just throw them in. Just make sure you handle them in a sanitary fashion (sanitize at least your hands) and always store them in a closed bag so they cannot pick up bacteria from your freezer and or kitchen. But this is common practice for other reasons anyway.

Kai

Back