Specialty IPA: Red IPA SIMPLE Imperial Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travisbrew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Safale US-05
Yeast Starter
none
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Amber
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Additional Fermentation
Bottle conditioned for 2 weeks
Tasting Notes
Nice caramel maltiness, clean bitters.
3.3lbs Amber LME at 60
3.3lbs Amber LME at 30
3lbs plain light DME at 15
1lb Clover Honey at flameout

1oz Chinook at 60
1oz Centennial at 30
1oz Cascade at 15
1oz Williamette at 10
1oz Cascade at 5

If your afraid to use any grains or just do not want to deal with the hassle, this is a good way to go. It's almost on the verge of being called an Amber IPA because of the hop profile.

Amber.jpg

Seems like a pretty simple recipe. Did you do a full boil? Is it aggressively hoppy or just enough to border IPA?

I should have renamed it a Amber IPA because it's too hoppy to be any kind of Amber Ale. Yeah just a normal boil. I put 3.3lbs in at 60, again at 30 minutes and then threw some DME in at 15. It turned out extremely malty. It's great if you dont want to mess with grains.

What changes to hop schedule would you recommend if one didn't want it as hoppy?
Also what was O.G and F.G

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Would love to try this as I have all of the required fermentables. I don't have any of the hop bill but have plenty of yeast choices (wlp001, wlp090, bry-97, us-05) so this is doable! Maybe I'll brew this in two weeks after my pale ale this Sunday...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

We made this two weeks ago and it is still bubbling every 10-11 seconds. I did not do an original gravity reading, and to be honest don't know how to at this point. Wait longer for less activity or bottle tomorrow as planned? Thanks for the help.

We made this two weeks ago and it is still bubbling every 10-11 seconds. I did not do an original gravity reading, and to be honest don't know how to at this point. Wait longer for less activity or bottle tomorrow as planned? Thanks for the help.

You must use specific gravity readings to determine if fermentation is complete. Bottling before fermentation is done will result in over carbonation of the bottles and very likely exploding bottles. Exploding bottles are very dangerous.

Buy a hydrometer. More time in the primary will not be detrimental to the beer.

A link to using a hydrometer.
http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixA.html

Back