Burned LME during boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hefeweizen

Reaction score
If I burned some of my LME on the bottom of the pot during the boil what would it end up tasting like.

It is my first brew, a hefeweizen. I tried my first one over the weekend after three weeks in bottles and am pretty disappointed. It could be that it needs to age a bit but I didn't think hefes needed too much aging (drink them young).

It tasted okay at bottling but had a bitter/sour flavor to it that I thought would go away after bottle conditioning but it didn't.

Thanks,

Ron

Burned LME would make your beer taste smoky, burned, or scorched. I don't think you'd get bitter/sour out of it.

Could you describe the flavor a little more? Like sour like a lemon, or sour like vinegar? Bitter like coffee? ETC. That will help us figure out what you're tasting.

Also, post your recipe and techniques (along with cooling time, etc) so maybe we can see something causing this.

I've scotched some LME during a boil a few years ago and IIRC the beer wound up tasting oddly slightly burnt-caramely-sweet.

I'm trying my best not to be the "my beer is ruined!" noob. It was a basic 6.6lbs of Wheat LME 3/4oz hallertau and wyeast 3065 (Weinstephaner).

60min boil with hops and LME. I didn't heat the LME to help liquefy it. During the boil I did see some black flakes floating which is why I think I burned some of the LME.

That was my first mistake. The second was that the wort sat in the sealed carboy for about 24 hrs. while I made the yeast starter. I used some of the wort to make it thus the lag in pitching.

I could say it is a bit like lemons. It is drinkable but not what I expected.

hefeweizen said:
I'm trying my best not to be the "my beer is ruined!" noob. It was a basic 6.6lbs of Wheat LME 3/4oz hallertau and wyeast 3065 (Weinstephaner).

60min boil with hops and LME. I didn't heat the LME to help liquefy it. During the boil I did see some black flakes floating which is why I think I burned some of the LME.

That was my first mistake. The second was that the wort sat in the sealed carboy for about 24 hrs. while I made the yeast starter. I used some of the wort to make it thus the lag in pitching.

I could say it is a bit like lemons. It is drinkable but not what I expected.

Was it the Extract that was floating or the lining in your pot? What kind of pot did you use? does it have teflon in it?

How long in total was your beer in your primary, do you rack to a secondary?

I slightly scorched my LME on my first batch and all it really did was make the beer a slight bit darker.

edb said:
How long in total was your beer in your primary, do you rack to a secondary?

It was in primary for two weeks. Hydrometer readings were stable and it went straight to bottles for three weeks.

hefeweizen said:
It's a stainless pot, no coating.

Ok then thats good, I would let it carb and try it, I once let a batch boil for 60 min without stirring it because I got druck and fell asleep on the couch. It did not run it but it did give it a very pronounced Burnt taste, I did not toss it and drank it but I didn't like it very much, However you said a small amount got scorched so im thinking it will turn out ok.

I scorched my first batch as well. It was an American Nut brown. It made it a bit darker with a bit of a burnt taste. So, i took lemons and made lemonade. It became a Toasted American Nut Brown.

Cheers

For future reference I would not let your beer sit in a carboy without pitching for a day. IMO pitching without a starter is better than pitching with a starter in that manner.

You also probably want to add the extract later in the boil, it reduces your chance of scorching. And if you can use DME, even less of a chance.

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
For future reference I would not let your beer sit in a carboy without pitching for a day. IMO pitching without a starter is better than pitching with a starter in that manner.

Agreed. I am thinking that if anything caused my off flavor, that was probably it. I am hoping that maybe it's still green and I can age it in bottles for a couple more weeks. We will see.

Thanks for the help!

-Ron

RICLARK said:
Ok then thats good, I would let it carb and try it, I once let a batch boil for 60 min without stirring it because I got druck and fell asleep on the couch. It did not run it but it did give it a very pronounced Burnt taste, I did not toss it and drank it but I didn't like it very much, However you said a small amount got scorched so im thinking it will turn out ok.

You know your dedicated when you drink your mistakes! I used to as well but I've got a 12 pack or so of some stuff that flat out sucks and I'll have to find somebody to pawn it off on. You want it?:drunk:

Regards,
Al

Your beer is still green. Let it sit for 3 weeks and see how much better it is. It ALWAYS amazes me how the beer changes between the second and third weeks.

Give it time. It'll be good.

GIusedtoBe said:
You know your dedicated when you drink your mistakes! I used to as well but I've got a 12 pack or so of some stuff that flat out sucks and I'll have to find somebody to pawn it off on. You want it?:drunk:

Regards,
Al

Sure, I will take some free bottles, I mean beer. Ship it down to me. :p

Poppy360 said:
Your beer is still green. Let it sit for 3 weeks and see how much better it is. It ALWAYS amazes me how the beer changes between the second and third weeks.

Give it time. It'll be good.

That's what I am hoping but it aged for three weeks and it is a hefe so I thought it would be ready. They have been sitting for another week now (four total) so I will give it another week or two and try it again.

Thanks,

Ron

Latest posts

Back