IPA brewed today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kchomebrew

Reaction score
Came up with an IPA I brewed this past Saturday. Some of it's (grain bill and amt/rate of hops being added) loosely based on the RR Blind Pig IPA. Once this one is ready to drink, I'll provide some tasting notes and photos. It's fermenting away right now and the aroma is quite nice...really picking up the grapefruit and floral right away through the airlock. Here's the recipe:

10 gal. batch - 92% efficiency
Mashed 151F 90 min/60 min. sparge 168F
OG 1.064
Assumed FG should be about 1.017 ...we'll see
65 IBUs

20 lb 2 Row
1 lb. Crystal 45
1 lb Carapils
1.5 lb. Corn Sugar
Hops:
60m Columbus 1oz
30m Centennial 1oz
30m Simcoe 1oz
30m Amarillo 1oz
Flameout Columbus 1oz
Flameout Centennial 1oz
Flameout Simcoe 1oz
Flameout Citra 1oz

pitched Wyeast 1056 - (split 5 gal. carboys - 2 packs each) - wished I would have used 2 diff types just to test.

Will ferment in primary for 2 weeks and transfer to secondary - 10 days Dry Hop, as follows:
Simcoe - 1oz
Citra - 1oz.
Centennial 1oz.

My bad...flameout also added 1oz of Amarillo

Flameout Columbus 1oz
Flameout Centennial 1oz
Flameout Simcoe 1oz
Flameout Citra 1oz

Couldn't find any Amarillo leaf hops in my area. Will probably order some so those can go into dry hop secondary with the others.

Well awesomely enough I didn't put blowoff tubes on the primary fermenters and krausen came up through the airlocks and bubbled up onto the lids of both fermenters. I think it probably happened in the last 5 to 6 hours. Just saw this when I got home from work (didn't see anything this AM)...never had that happen with an IPA recipe. Ambient temp. in the room is 63F so I really wasn't expecting this. Not something I've seen happen from Wyeast 1056. Perhaps the use of corn sugar in the recipe set it off. Anyway, hopefully no infections occur (I doubt it will...I've had lids blow off on hefe's , etc. and nothing got infected). Bummer if that does happen.

transferred to the secondary last night. took a gravity reading and it's already down to 1.017 which was the anticipated/assumed FG I was shooting for. Color was already a brilliantly clear golden orange color. I sampled and it has a very sharp resinous pine bite on the front and is quite dry and more citrus/grapefruit on the finish. I had fermented two 6 gallon batches in primaries and transferred them into two separate glass carboys. Dry hopped as noted in this thread earlier but noticed I also had a spare packet of 1oz columbus pellets so I tossed those in also. I also found an extra packet of 1oz. simcoe leaf hops sitting in my fridge, so i doubled the simcoe profile in the dry hop schedule. So , all up, the entire batch dry hop schedule looks something like this 1oz citra, 2 oz. simcoe, 1oz. centennial, 1oz Columbus - or per 6 gal. batch .50oz citra, 1oz simcoe, .5oz centennia, .50oz Columbus. I'll circle back in about 10 days to bottle this one up.

Took final readings today. FG came out at 1.015 which approximates to a 77-78% attenuation. Figure I ended up getting a 90% efficiency on this brew with the 1.065 OG reading. Color is a nice dark gold with an orange hue. Excellent clarity and aroma is mango, citrus and pine resin. Tasted and its got plenty of bitter kick on the back end and a nice dry finish - should get a little bit more pronounced when carbed up. Hard to tell so far...but the body seems a bit thin....but that could all change. I'll sample again after 2 weeks of conditioning

Picture of final reading

ForumRunner_20130423_233720.png

I ended up entering this beer in the KC HopFest homebrew competition this past weekend. It scored really well. 37/50. I'll post some pictures of the beer tonight when I pour one. If I'd scored a bit higher in flavor, I think this would have placed in the top 3...but it had to be close anyway with the 37/50. Aroma scores came in at 10/12 which is great. The comment that I think knocked this one down was that the bitterness was overpowering. I have to agree with that. I know it's being judged to the style, so it's probably a bit strong in that dept. but I'd imagine most IPA fans would enjoy it. The judges both commented that it was a bit sweet and one mentioned to scale down the crystal malt. I'm wondering if the dryness of the beer from the corn sugar impacted the bitterss of the beer from the corn sugar impacted the bitterness. Maybe it was too dry. I suppose I might try this one with warrior or Columbus hops at .75 oz. instead 1oz and add at FWH for 90min instead of the 60 min. addition. Warrior comes across less intense than Columbus to me....I'd also probably drop the 30 min. addition hops and make those 5min. addition. I did flameout additions (5 oz. - 1 oz. each of Amarillo, Centennial, Columbus, Simcoe, and Citra) and let them steep for about 5 min. and then chilled. Reading about hop stand techniques, I think I need to let is steep for 30min. or more and also need to drop the post boil temp to 190F-180F range. Lastly, I think I need to ensure I use at least 3oz. or more of dry hops per a 5 gal. batch. Thus, I easily should have doubled the dry hop addition on this recipe. I'd also like to get a hop rocket and experiment with that too.

corn sugar will pretty much completely ferment out - with your high FG (for most IPA standards) and comment about sweetness I'd either mash a little lower or scale back the crystal/carapils but those amounts really aren't too high

sounds like a good plan for the changes to the hop additions

Interesting how this beer has developed over time. Crystal clear now and aroma is as good ad ever. Mouthfeel is fantastic and perfect. I guess, bottle conditioning this is a 3 mo ordeal. Can't wait to get my kegerator completed so I am done with the waiting game.

image-3908340214.jpg

Back