Is it worth it to upgrade the faucets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgentHubcap

Reaction score
I have a 6-tap kegerator that has the standard faucets. I've been having a lot of trouble with mold in the faucets. I'm told that perlicks don't have the same issues. Is it worth upgrading? What ones would you recommend?

Definitely worth upgrading. Most of us recommend the Perlicks to anyone setting up a system, because if you don't buy them initially you will later.

Perlick 525SS is what works for me.

+1 on the Perlick faucets. I switched from std. faucets to three 525's plus one flow control. One of the best additions to my overall setup ever!

Brew rite. have great prices on the perlick . I finally upgraded now I can kick my self in the butt for not doing it sooner perfect beer every pour. No mold no sticking no foaming issues I love them

Love my 525. However I have to say, I only pour Friday through Sunday and in the four days in between, a bit of mold or funk must develop in the spout because the first pour can have a funky off taste. So all I do is keep a small baby bottle nipple brush stuck in the spout. Before the first pour, I clean it out and rinse the brush. Haven't had any off flavors since.

I've gone weeks (maybe months) between pouring and I've never had any problems. If you're really worried you can buy faucet covers, or else you can spritz some star san in there at the end of the night if it's going to be a while.

The design of the Perlicks leaves basically no beer exposed to air, whereas traditional faucets leave a small amount. I've never noticed mold on my perlicks, and I've never had any sticking. Even when the keezer was in a super hot humid garage and it was weeks between pours.

Back