how to fix it question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
So I brewed a big winter warmer 1.096 OG to 1.024 FG, and I went to taste it and it has a decent amount of fruit characteristics, pretty sweet tasting and I don't taste any spices that went into it (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger).
I thought I had watched my temps (I have it in a controlled setting) but maybe it got too high at one point? From my perspective I let it go at 66 for 2 days, 68-69 for a week then up to 70-71 for the last 2.5 weeks. Anyways, to help it so it is a bit more drinkable and not so cloying, I was wondering if throwing some oak chips into it for a week or so would help it? I'm guessing American as it's a bit harsher than French? I would do cubes but I'm running out of time since it was originally for Christmas. If it tastes like crap and i can't turn it around i guess they don't get this batch and they will settle for the other batch that turned out fantastic!
Anyways, any suggestions would help! Thanks!

In general, bigger brews will benefit from age. I'd let it sit and condition for at least a few weeks, then see where it's at.

Like BattleGoat says time will help it,by that same token even if you bottled it today that big of a beer may not be carbed up by Christmas anyway(not an issue if you keg though).I would resist the temptation to fix it at this point as it may not be broken,its just not where you want it to be.I would suggest as you put it settle for the other beer that turned out fantastic(that is my kind of settling ah man I have to drink this fantastic beer).

I made a beer with cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger that took 7 months before everything blended and it tasted good. It might just take a little time.

Well I have a beer gun so the carbing/bottling isn't a time issue really...
Is a flavor of a young beer the sweet almost cloying fruit flavor I am describing? Or is that a fermenting too hot off flavor? Usually speaking at least.
Thanks for comments and suggestions so far!

Seeing as how it went from 1.096 down to 1.024,it seems a lot like a barley wine. So it'll seem that way till it ages for a while. But still a bit sweet full bodied. Burton ales were known for this.

Are you saying it's already carbed? Or is it still pre-carb at this point?

The carbonation should help bring out the flavors, because the CO2 will help carry the aromatics to your nose as you drink it.

Also, time is your friend. But if you really want an informed opinion, you'll have to send me a sample to evaluate. A 6-pack ought to do it.

Cheers!

It is not carved yet. It is carbonating in the keg currently.
So so it is just for fam I will probably bottle what I was going to for their presents and tell them to hold onto them for a couple months which they have all done before hand with a beer I have given them.
Still contemplating oaking half the batch but haven't decided yet.

frazier said:
Also, time is your friend. But if you really want an informed opinion, you'll have to send me a sample to evaluate. A 6-pack ought to do it.

Cheers!

I would if it weren't for shipping costs... :)

If you are going to let it age on oak, I would suggest the cubes. The oak chips will impart too much oak flavor over a long conditioning period.

As far as fermentation temps, the critical flavor period is the first 1-3 days, maybe a couple more depending on the strain. I would say the fermentation is ok and it like what everyone else said, a matter of letting it age.

Back