Fast fermentation too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mat1993

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First time posting on this forum. I have a strawberry wine fermenting and according to the hydrometer, it has fermented to complete dryness in 4 days in the primary. Starting SG at 1.080 and now it's at .990. Is this bad for the wine? It has stayed between 72-77 degrees. Thanks for y'all's help.

Some yeasts are fast fermenters. Plus the temperature range you stated will help increase the ferment time. You could have some off tastes, keyword: could. I had a raspberry mead that went from 1.092 to 0.995 in 78 hours and it was just fine.
I would not worry at this point, allow the wine to clear, get some age on it and see how it is. In the future, you may want to try a cooler temp w/ strawberry, you will be amazed what "low and slow" will do for that fruit (and many others). But be sure to check the temperature range of the yeast you want to use. What yeast did you use?

I used the redstar Montrachet yeast. I know it wasn't best selection but its what I had and figured I'd give it a try. What temperature range do you reccomend?

Also, the recipie I followed says to leave the straining bags with strawberry pulp in the primary for 7 days. Should I continue to let it sit to bring out flavors, or go ahead and rack to secondary since its dry?

I ferment in a 6 gallon plastic bucket and when it is time to check gravity after about two days I obviously have to take the lid off.

Does introducing this much air affect the wine quality?

No that won't hurt. Air is actually good during primary fermentation. It is best to just cover with a cloth to prevent big debris from getting in for first 3-7 days

congrats, fast fermentation means the yeast are healthy and should produce good quality alcohol.

Back