Keg selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifearnothing0

Reaction score
What kind of keg does everybody prefer , pin lock or ball lock ? And how much co2 do I need to labor each keg ?

I have both -- they have their upsides and downsides, so it's really about personal preference. Depending on your beer-cooling setup you might fit more ball locks in at a time, but check first! If you're using a chest freezer-type setup, ball locks will probably be better, upright fridge, and the pin lock might give you more room for the other hardware...

I actually like the pin lock disconnects better because you can't screw them up if you happen to be a little less than sober when you hook them up...

I much prefer the ball locks as they have a smaller footprint and I prefer the quick disconnects on them and they have a better pressure relief valve on them that you can manually pull or hold open. also I go through a 5lb tank of co2 every few months but at $12.44 that is more than manageable... it's all really personal preference but that's my 2 cents.

The reason I ask is because I fridge for fermenting and conditioning , but no place to keep a keg at serving temp ... I was wondering since my fridge and fridge / freezer is on a temp control and the freezer never freezes , can I keep a keg laying down up there ?

ifearnothing0 said:
The reason I ask is because I fridge for fermenting and conditioning , but no place to keep a keg at serving temp ... I was wondering since my fridge and fridge / freezer is on a temp control and the freezer never freezes , can I keep a keg laying down up there ?

Ya, no problem. It is a sealed pressure vessel after all so it really doesn't matter what position it's sitting in. You might stir up any settled sediment when moving it to your kegerator though but that will just settle back out.

Cruzn4aBrewzn said:
Ya, no problem. It is a sealed pressure vessel after all so it really doesn't matter what position it's sitting in. You might stir up any settled sediment when moving it to your kegerator though but that will just settle back out.

If you're going to serve that way make sure the gas post is on top! That will minimize the risk of beer in your gas lines (and get check valves to protect your regulator)...

Thanks Steve I had thought of that , I didn't wasn't planning on serving from the freezer , jus need a place to keep it serving temp...

Latest posts

Back