Any good ideas of what to add to a stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coffee, chocolate, lactose, oak chips, bourbon, nutmeg, vanilla, cinnamon or any combination thereof are what immediately come to mind. If you want to break the mold, get creative. While you're eating and drinking things, try and identify unique flavors you think might go well in a stout.

anything that would taste good in coffee...

from the dunkin donuts website:
black cocoa creme
blueberry
caramel
caramel mocha
cinnamon
coconut
almond
mocha
toasted almond
raspberry
pumpkin
mint
vanilla

I had a RIS from Stone (I think) that was flavored with anise. Gave it a very nice licorice flavor. I usually hate that flavor, but it worked very well in that beer.

This is kind of off the wall, but how about wormwood (the stuff that is used to make absinthe)? From what I can gather after a bit of searching it's perfectly legal in the USA as long as you don't distill it and the concentration of thujone (the supposed psychoactive compound in wormwood) in any food or drink made with it is < 10 mg/L. I also found out that it is slightly bitter, but also floral. Other discussions I have found say it tastes more like licorice. I also found something that said AHS sold a kit that had wormwood in it, but I couldn't find it on their site. They do, however, sell wormwood so if you decide to go that route, then you have a source. I don't know how well it might go with a stout since I've never smelled or tasted wormwood, but I feel like if it does, in fact, taste like licorice then it might be a unique and, more importantly, tasty choice.

I am seriously considering a pumpkin pie stout, the only hold back is I may just do a pumpkin pie ale so I don't loose the pumpkin color.

I've heard of Pumpkin Porters and Stouts, but I don't think I would like it personally. I just don't see chocolate/coffee mixing with pumpkin pie. I could see a Holiday porter or stout made with orange, ginger, and cinnamon. In fact, orange stout might be kind of surprising. Chocolate covered oranges are pretty delicious. I might try to use cocoa powder and orange zest in a stout.m

I would replace the choco malt and use the pumpkin and spices to add flavor. Yea I would not mix those either. Reeses never came up with a pumpkin cup for good reason.

What about a Terry's chocolate orange sort of thing, orange zest and bittersweet chocolate?
Edit: oh, mentioned a few posts up...

Well kerrygold has a cheddar with Irish stout in it, maybe you could reverse it by adding some kind of cheese flavoring?

I dumped in 3/4 lb of dark brown sugar to an RIS I brewed yesterday. Not exactly radical, but it's a nice way to boost gravity and give another layer to an already very complex brew.

As you can see, basically anything can be put in a stout, even beets, for example.

Make a beet stout.

Do it !!!

I would replace the choco malt and use the pumpkin and spices to add flavor. Yea I would not mix those either. Reeses never came up with a pumpkin cup for good reason.

My aunt makes a pumpkin chocolate cake that's really good. The flavors can work together, though it would probably need to be a sweeter stout than I care for.

While we're talking about licorice, anise and wormwood flavors, how 'bout some juniper berries!

(just a wee hint) (often used in pan gravies alongside sage. they have a kind of pine-y, high-note flavor which may or may not compliment certain pine-y hops.)

Put all the above into a brew, and you might end up with something herbal, complex and amazing. Or it could be disgusting. Whirl the roulette wheel, see what prize ya win!

As was mentioned already, orange and chocolate might be good. I love chocolate covered orange peel and have been thinking about working up a stout recipe to include those flavors.

Try a licorice root stout...it doesn't taste anything like licorice (which is actually anise)...it just adds a neat herbal/sweet flavor. Bell's Kalamazoo stout is a licorice root stout...

Cherry stouts are indeed very good too...

I make a chocolate cinnamon chipotle stout which is one of my favorite recipes...

I make a chocolate cinnamon chipotle stout which is one of my favorite recipes...

All of the tastebuds on the left side of my tongue just surrendered after watching the ones on the right side spontaneously burst in to flames just from reading that.

:tank:

I'm doing an Oatmeal Cookie Ale as we speak. It's more of a Porter than a stout, but it's...

.75lb Chocolate Malt
1 lb Quick Oats
2lbs crystal 40
some cinnamon
some vanilla extract
1 lb table sugar, caramelized on the stove.

And then some 2 row to suit your tastes and patience with letting it age. I'm in a 5 gallon cooler, so I'm using 9lbs as that is all that will fit, even with a thicker mash. Otherwise I'd probably use a little more.

I'm going to use Windsor yeast to leave it nice and malty

Rye! I'm halfway through the boil on a rye stout right now. I'm not a real big fan of most rye-ipa's but I think it's awesome in a stout.

All of the tastebuds on the left side of my tongue just surrendered after watching the ones on the right side spontaneously burst in to flames just from reading that.
:tank:

Yes, thank you, thank you! It's even *better* than that when you taste it in real life! (actually, I don't have the heat cranked up that high...just enough for a tingle along with the smokiness, roastyness, and chocolatey goodness... :mug:)

bacon. Breakfast stout!

Yes! In planning stages to try this with a buddy of mine who is a home meat smoker...

Rye! I'm halfway through the boil on a rye stout right now. I'm not a real big fan of most rye-ipa's but I think it's awesome in a stout.

Now this sounds good too! I'm getting inspired to brew another stout very soon, especially since the colder months are on the way...

BTW Chess...you should post that recipe in the recipe section, and PM me when you do, I'd like to check that one out... (Or at least let me know how much rye you use in the grist...)

BTW Chess...you should post that recipe in the recipe section, and PM me when you do, I'd like to check that one out... (Or at least let me know how much rye you use in the grist...)

It's still in the experimental stages now, but if it turns out any good I'll definitely post it! Basically I just went with 25% rye, half of it malted and half flaked. Then your usual roasted barley, chocolate, crystal, and a touch of black patent. It should be under 7% so I'm just gonna do a month in primary and straight to bottles. Hopefully some will still be left by winter time ;)

As was mentioned already, orange and chocolate might be good. I love chocolate covered orange peel and have been thinking about working up a stout recipe to include those flavors.

I was thinking of doing a porter or stout like this...any idea how much orange zest I would need?

drives_a_bike said:
I was thinking of doing a porter or stout like this...any idea how much orange zest I would need?

Not quite sure. I was planning on using sweet orange peel and fresh zest but don't know where to start on amounts.

hemp seeds add a nice bit of nuttiness

i brewed an oatmeal hemp stout earlier in the year that came out quite delicious

Back