English bitter recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrwongburger

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just finished my first ag with a red ipa with good results and wanted to make an English bitter next. Ive looked around a little and have some ideas but wanted to know if anyone had a good recipe or certain grains you like for an English bitter. I would welcome help on hop additions too but that seems a little more straightforward. Thanks!

Maris otter is a must for bitters (or halcyon or optic, etc.). Also, british crystals make a more authentic bitter than american crystal malts. If you want to go simple, maris otter with 5% british crystal makes a great bitter. You can expand from there. And any combination of EKG, fuggles, northdown, styrian goldings, or challenger hops makes good british beer.

Thanks that's really helpful. I've wanted to try biscuit malt, do you think 8lb Maris otter 1lb biscuit 1lb crystal sounds good for a five gallon batch or is that too much biscuit or crystal?

I know a lot of people like biscuit malt, but I've never been a fan. I much prefer a little amber malt in a bitter for that toasty flavor. About half a lb has worked well for me.

Thanks that's really helpful. I've wanted to try biscuit malt, do you think 8lb Maris otter 1lb biscuit 1lb crystal sounds good for a five gallon batch or is that too much biscuit or crystal?

I don't do English style Ales, but I find a half pound of biscuit (I use victory, i am told they are similar) and 1/2 pound crystal to be about as much as I like. I do think in a maltier English style closer to a pound would work, as long as it is a bigger ale, esb or pale.

Back