Adding corn sugar to the boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milldoggy

Reaction score
All, I have have about 2 lbs of corn sugar just laying around. I keg and force carbo, I bought a bunch of kits that came with it. I want to get rid of it, I was thinking about making a reciepe and just adding the extra sugar. Is this bad, will it give the beer an odd flavor? From what I read, corn sugar is fairly tasteless, will it just raise the OG? I do extract brews, have a honey weizen reciepe I was going to do? Will adding the sugar make it lighter? Thanks for any advice.

Won't be bad at all if you brew a beer that a sugar addition would be to style. I used a lb of sugar in my Saison, for example. Do a little research on different styles and recipes and you can probably find something that'll work for you and get rid of the sugar in one or two batches.

Too much pure sugar in the wort can lead to a "cidery" taste. Like ChshreCat suggested, look for a style where sugar additions are used (I'm thinking Belgian Abbey Ales) and go for that. Otherwise, just use it for priming.

Works fine. I use quite a bit of cane sugar in my Belgian ales (up to 3 lbs in a batch). It will boost the alcohol and dry out the beer a bit. I would recommend adding it to the primary after 3-7 days rather than putting it in the boil. I've had much better results that way. Just boil the sugar in water (about 2 cups/pound) and add it to the primary after the bulk of fermentation is done. It's less stressful to the yeast and attenuates much better, IME.

I know where you're at though. I finally stopped buying the little 5oz bags of corn sugar and invested in the big lifetime-supply sized bag of it... then I won a kegging system. hehehe I'll get through it though.

In addition to a variety of Belgian styles, a little sugar can be useful in drying out a light American hybrid beer, such as a cream or blonde ale.

Back