BM's Blonde ale becomes a bad girl

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A little over a month ago I brewed 35 gallons of BM's Centennial Blonde and it's just been hanging out in the fermenters until I get time to keg it up. It's split into 2 ten gallon batches, and 3 5 gallon batches (all brewed as one just split into fermenters).

Some how one of the 5 gallon batches got infected. It has never been opened until now. It has a white stringy and bubbled layer on top that matches all the pictures I see around here of the Brett infected sours. So I'm assuming that's what it is. I opened it up and it smells fine but did not taste it.

The plan is to just let it age out and see what it does.

How well do you think a sour blonde would be? Should I maybe fruit it? Raspberry?

Also how long should she sit?

Never had a plan to do a sour but hey, it's like the SWMBO saying "I'm prego". What ya going to do but just roll with it.

so she did sour on ya huh? hell leave it be and let it go for as long as needed. at worst it'll be no worse than the one i had at the brewday:D

Stick a coat hanger in it?

:p, just wrong.

I would give it a month or two and taste it. If it's pleasantly funked, make sure it's done, bottle it, and you've got "Bad Girl Bretted Biermuncher Blonde".

If it's not quite drinkable, fruiting it may help mask the flavor. Could turn interesting after some time with the fruit...

The coat hanger comment cracked me up.

I've got a Blond that I purposely infected, and I plan on using some peaches after the beer has had more time with the bugs. But, I'm not really a fan of raspberries...

I had a grain dust problem recently and ended up with several Lacto infected beers that have actually turned out quite nice. Put a dash or maraschino cherry juice in a glass before pouring and it make a half decent Kriek. :rockin:

Keep in mind that it could be anything that's infected the beer. It may turn out okay (and even excellent), but it's dicey. If you have the carboy space to dedicate this brew for several months go for it. Otherwise, have no problem with dumping it. Don't try and cover up any bad sourness or funk with fruit/hops. Don't waste your time. I'd pitch some bottle dregs to ensure good bugs/funk dominate vs some wild yeast/bugs that could be detrimental.

I have enough fermenter space for about 70 gallons so it can sit for as long as it needs.

I wont add any thing to it, just let it sit and see what I get.

Back