Apfelwein question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrritableGourmet

Reaction score
I started a batch of Ed's Apfelwein last week using 2 packs of EC-1118 and 3 tsp yeast nutrients and the SG has already stabilized one week later. Is the rest of the 4 week wait just clearing or is there some kind of conditioning going on?

Basically, if I add sparkolloid now, bottle a couple days after, and wait to drink it till the end of the month, will it be roughly the same as waiting till the end of the month and bottling/drinking it then? This batch is for Christmas presents, so they won't get drunk till the end of December anyway, but I only have one primary and I want to get another batch (or two (or three)) in before then.

Thanks!

Buy another bucket. Leave the apfelwein in primary for AT LEAST 4 weeks. I left mine in for 8 weeks and it was awesome. I still think with a year of aging, it will be much better. And also, I'd watch it giving these as gifts. Most of them will end up down the drain. It's an aquired taste, and if the giftee doesn't like VERY dry wine, they probably won't even bother drinking a second glass.

Buy another bucket. Leave the apfelwein in primary for AT LEAST 4 weeks. I left mine in for 8 weeks and it was awesome. I still think with a year of aging, it will be much better. And also, I'd watch it giving these as gifts. Most of them will end up down the drain. It's an aquired taste, and if the giftee doesn't like VERY dry wine, they probably won't even bother drinking a second glass.

My family will drink anything alcoholic, so I'm not worried about them throwing it away.

Hmmmmm, if I buy 4 buckets I could stagger them so I can bottle and restart each week. 5 gallons a week of apfelwein. 20 a month.

Back