plastic verses glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I asked the same question several months ago. Short answer is there are two sides to this concept. From what I've heard, its ok with the right plastic. Believe it or not, most plastics are permeable, meaning they breath and cause oxidation at a very slow rate. I've been told that it actually can help your wine if you are drinking it within a year, but longer then that "could" cause excess oxidation. There is also a debate if plastics can leach out certain chemicals over time, but I dont know much about this, and it seems if it were that bad, you would hear a little more on it.

I've started using the wine-on-tap bags and they seem to work just fine. I bulk age in glass though, so by the time I bag the wine (2 bags plus some extra bottles) it is ready to enjoy. They key though is to keep the wine out of all light (even small amounts of incandescent).

What type of plastic are we talking about? Milk Jugs? Green Tea jugs? 2-liter bottles?

BTW - wine on tap is excellent. I wish I had been doing that for a long time. Although the bags say you should only use them once I believe you can get away with using them twice as long as they are well cleaned and sanitized.

thanks for all the advice, i was thinking about half gallon size apple juice containers. i have three gallons of blackberry wine in a three gallon carboy and i need to free it up for muscadines.i have a 1 gal glass carboy and 6 750 ml bottles so iwas thinking for last gal to use the aplle juice containers and let the 1 gal carboy age a little longer in bulk, and drink the rest of it before bottleing it.

Back