Planning my new cider...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xunedeinx

Reaction score
Well, i got the carboy, airlocks, and yeast comming in on monday. So, this weekend i need to finish shopping.

I allready got 4 3qt bottles of no-name apple juice, pasturized but no preservatives.

Got one 2qt of grape juice, because it would be cool to have a wine/cider wine, but still debating...

Also got 4lbs of light brown sugar. Is that enough for the 3gal carboy, or too much?

And, i got the wine yeast comming monday...

Should i buy a can or 2 of apple juice concentrate, or will it be good enough with what i got?

Just remember you only have a 3 gallon carboy....if you fill it right to the top, it will bubble over. You should leave at least a 2 quart headspace. So 4 quarts to the gallon x 2.5 gallons = 10 quarts of assorted liquid, right? If you are going to add concentrate to increase the apply flavor, etc., cut back on the regular juice too. You are well on your way to your next batch!

Yup i am...

but recipe wise....

Just dump all 4lbs in with 3qts of apple to dissolve, pour in carboy, add in the grape juice(if i should even do that) and fill up to 2 gal with the remaining apple. then the last .5gal ill mix the yeast in with some apple and pour it in?

How much yeast, light brown sugar, procedure?

Should i bother with the grape juice or no? i have no clue what the taste would be like...

Also, i can always get some honey too, should i?

xunedeinx How much yeast said:
If you're looking for traditional cider, you're way off in the wrong direction.

1) ditch the grape juice in any case, fermented grape juice tastes like real cheap wine . Yechhh.

2) take your apple juice and measure the OG. If it's 1.045 or better, no sugar is required.

3) If it's below 1.045 (approx) add some table or brown sugar to bring it up. Maybe just a few cups. If you go 1 lb per gallon like some do, it will taste like solvents for at least a year.

4) wine yeast will give you an extremely dry cider. If that's what you want great. If you want a traditional cider, use a neutral beer yeast like Nottingham.

I dont think this gu has a hydrometer (which is not a bg deal). The applejuice that I used in a cyser a while ago had a SG of about 1.040, so I would be sparing with the sugar, and stay away from the grape juice. Honey might be good instead of just sugar. You can get away with adding more of it without having to drink paint thinner.

BTW what kind of yeast did you order?

You should be on the right track

- magno

So i guess ill jus add half the 2lb bag, which would obv be one pound of sugar...unless even thats too much.

My yeast list i ordered...

(WY110) These 6 stains of yeast have been isolated from different parts of the world - California, Germany, France, etc. They are packaged in 5 gram sachets that are sufficient for making 5 gallons of wine.

MONTRACHET (All Purpose)
Neutral Flavor Active Dry Winery Yeast. Used by many major wineries. For making wines from fruit, berries, flowers, vegetables and grapes. Firm sediment and high alcohol tolerance.

PREMIER CUVEE (Prise de Mousse)
Widely used in the commercial production of white wines. Good alcohol tolerance. Ferments to dryness.

PASTEUR CHAMPAGNE
Used for charmat processed sparkling wines. Also, helpful in re-starting a stuck fermentation. Has a high alcohol tolerance. Can be used for wines of all types. Also used in producing old fashion soda pops for bottle conditioning.

COTE DES BLANCS (Epernay 2)
An excellent general purpose yeast for still or sparkling wines. Produces less foam than Montrachet. Excellent flavoring characteristics.

RED PASTEUR
A strong fermenter. Ideally suited for full-bodied reds. Helps to bring out fruity flavors. Adds a robust character to lighter-bodied reds.

And then this one...

WY210) These 5 strains of yeast are among the best available to the home winemaker. They have been isolated from different regions of France, and further developed by top researchers for home use. Each 5 gram package contains billions of live yeast cells. Enough to ferment 5 gallons of wine.

K1V-1116
Origin: Montpellier Region.
Recommended for all wines made from concentrate or non-grape wines produced from fresh fruits. Fast starting. Able to adapt and ferment well in versatile situations. Has an excellent lingering fruity quality. Low foaming and low hydrogen sulfite (H2S) production.

EC-1118
Origin: Champagne Region
Recommended for all types of wines including sparkling wines, late harvest wines and cider. Also an excellent choice for re-starting stuck fermentations. Has a high tolerance to alcohol. Neutral in flavor. Also, used in old fashion soda pops for bottle conditioning.

71B-1122
Origin: Narbonne Region
A perfect choice for wines that will be enjoyed while young. Used extensively throughout the world for nouveau wines. Also well suited for blush wines, fruit wines, and wines were a residual sweetness is desired.

BOURGOVIN RC 212
Origin: Burgundy Region
Recommended for hearty Reds also lighter Reds where color stability is a factor. Low foaming. Good alcohol tolerance. Produces aromas of ripe berry and fruit. Also a hint of pepper and spice.

ICV D-47
Origin: Cotes-du-Rhone Region
Recommended for Whites and Roses. Also excellent choice for Meads. Low foaming and settles firmly. Enhances mouth feel due to complex carbohydrates. Imparts a slightly minty aroma.

And then this one...

Wyeast Liquid Cider Yeast #3766

L3766XL (XL Pack) is sufficient for 10 gallons. Crisp dry fermenting yeast with big, fruity finish. Creates a nice balance for all types of apples, pears and other fruit or fermentables. Allows fruit character to dominate the profile.

So i guess ill jus add half the 2lb bag, which would obv be one pound of sugar...unless even thats too much.

You can use the sugar, or about 1 lb of honey per gallon, but not more than that.

My yeast list i ordered...

MONTRACHET (All Purpose)
PREMIER CUVEE (Prise de Mousse)
PASTEUR CHAMPAGNE
COTE DES BLANCS (Epernay 2)
RED PASTEUR
K1V-1116 Origin: Montpellier Region.
EC-1118 Origin: Champagne Region
71B-1122 Origin: Narbonne Region
BOURGOVIN RC 212 Origin: Burgundy Region
ICV D-47 Origin: Cotes-du-Rhone Region
Wyeast Liquid Cider Yeast #3766

Almost all of the yeasts you ordered were wine yeasts, and will give you quite a dry cider, so go with the cider yeast first.

Just my opinion.........

Ok, ill go for it!

Sence the yeast is good for 10 gallons, shoul i pour out about less then half and stick the rest in the fridge? How do i store it once it gets here.

Back