Critique my manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockytoptim

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So here is my manifold that I am making so I can go AG. Its in a 70 qt igloo max cool cooler. I haven't cut the slots in it yet . Its made of 1/2 copper and its 2" on centers and 1" on center from the sides. I plan on soldering the sides together (to keep the 2" spacing) and just have the long pieces loose so it will be easier to clean. Anything wrong with the way I have it now? If you notice my cooler as a step in the back should I make the manifold go op the step as well?

IMG_0239_small.jpg

Are you going to use the existing drain port or drill a new lower one? I don't know how well that existing one will work being that high up.

You guys are right about the main drain line. The main line to the drain should be at the front or back long tube. I will move it. I hadn't thought of that at the time i was dry fitting it together. I will be batch sparging.

Also would it be better to put the main drain line on the short sides of the manifold rather than on the long tube at the front or back? I haven't drilled my hole so I can either put it in the front or side of the cooler.

Actually, I think they were suggesting that it would drain more evenly if there were cross members on Ts or Xs going to the main drain line. I don't think it would make any difference moving the main drain line to the edge.

Assuming the mash liquor will start above the existing drain, I would just use that one with a weldless fitting. With a hose hanging down on the drain, the siphon will suck that thing dry, regardless of how high the exit port is in the cooler. Even if you just had a hose draped over the side, it would work too as long as you can start the siphon. ;)

Latest posts

Back