Cheeze-Its....Seriously???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcarter

Reaction score
I totally did not expect this, but my first brew (just started) smelled like Cheeze-Its!! I know nothing is wrong but even SWMBO said ' You're gonna have to do that sh!it outside if it's gonna smell like that!!':D:D

My wife wasn't home for first batch so the smell was of no consequence. The second batch woke her up and brought her down to politely mention the smell in the house. I apologized, saying I didn't realize the smell was so strong:), and promised that I wouldn't do it in the house again. I naturally took this as a blessing to go purchase a large propane burner for garage/outdoor use, which I wanted to do anyway.

SWMBO doesnt like the smell of mashing and boiling hops in the garage! Hrmmm, maybe that is my excuse to build a brew shack!

Keg2- Oktoberfest (On tap)
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Nah, I don't thinkit's DMS. From the very beginning it smelled that way. I used an ice bath and was cool within about 15min.

Yeah, now that I re-read your OP I realized that it was from the start. Oops.
Yeah, I do my brewing in the garage. But SWMBO does mention the smell of fermentation, which takes place in the dining room.

Ive read that old hops can have a cheesy odor but that seems unlikely to be your problem.

Yeah, now that I re-read your OP I realized that it was from the start. Oops.
Yeah, I do my brewing in the garage. But SWMBO does mention the smell of fermentation, which takes place in the dining room.

Yeah...she said I have to get a propane tank and do all my brewing outside now. Normally that might be a big deal but I've been known to fire up the smoker in the middle of winter. Brew and BBQ sounds like my kind of day!!

SWMBO doesnt like the smell of mashing and boiling hops in the garage! Hrmmm, maybe that is my excuse to build a brew shack!

Keg2- Oktoberfest (On tap)
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

I was thinking about that same thing, maybe one of those little outbuildings from Lowe's or Home Depot with the little window in it.:D

Ive read that old hops can have a cheesy odor but that seems unlikely to be your problem.

I've not heard that, interesting. But you're probably right, most likely not my problem. I got this kit from B3, not usually an issue getting fresher ingredients from them.

Yeah...she said I have to get a propane tank and do all my brewing outside now. Normally that might be a big deal but I've been known to fire up the smoker in the middle of winter. Brew and BBQ sounds like my kind of day!!

My brew days are always like that. I'll wake up early and fire up the smoker. Usually it's baby back ribs. Occasionally I'll do a pork butt or shoulder. While the meat is smoking all day I'll do my brewing. Once the brew is done I usually have it timed just right so that as I finish clean up it's time to throw on some baked beans. A little later I'll throw on the ABT's and then grill some chicken.

Now, just so there's NO misunderstanding, I would NEVER use propane for good BBQ. Just my opinion, but ya can't beat a good stickburner!!:D:D I guess I finally found a good use for propane though.

Back