Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a cigar man myself these days (quit cigarettes a quite a few years ago) but my dad always smoked a partially metal pipe that looked a bit like this:
http://www.smokingmetal.co.uk/pipe.php?page=205

I haven't seen anybody comment on this stye of pipe in this thread. Is there anything good/bad about this kind of pipe?

What I did suggest, is that cigar lovers HAVE to have a pipe to smoke the last inch or 2 of a cigar!

No tricks. Yes, light it. Columbus, Simcoe, and Saaz were the favorites.

Citrusy, spicy, clean, and very aromatic. Subtle. Fun brewing tradition.

Quickly. A puff or two. It was better with a small amount of tobacco on the bottom, hop on top and put a match to it. "Burn one down" is the lingo I think. They don't really last for slow, continual burning like tobacco, more like a flavor shot.

So are you saying you stuff the last 2 inches of the cigar in a bowl and puff away?

Never had to "stuff", usualy just insert it and it seals well enough without being squished. I never really even had to relight, just notice I am getting less grip room left and stick it in the pipe.

Could smoke the whole damned thing that way if you wanted, would be a cooler smoke.

This is a silly question, but there is no reason I couldn't pack a pipe, put the pipe in a pouch or something ahead of time so as to not fuss with packing at a bar etc is there? Any way to keep the pipe packed?

This is a silly question, but there is no reason I couldn't pack a pipe, put the pipe in a pouch or something ahead of time so as to not fuss with packing at a bar etc is there? Any way to keep the pipe packed?

I know a few people that do that. Especially for those 15 min smoke break type people. Pipe smoking is best not rushed that way.

I'm jealous. We can't smoke at bars here in California.

But to answer your question. I prepacked before. Invest in a little pipe pouch. There will be room in one compartment for a pipe and tamper and another compartment for pipe tobacco. There about the size of a large wallet.

one-pipe-qick-kit_small.jpg

Dan said:
I'm jealous. We can't smoke at bars here in California.

But to answer your question. I prepacked before. Invest in a little pipe pouch. There will be room in one compartment for a pipe and tamper and another compartment for pipe tobacco. There about the size of a large wallet.

Nice, thanks! I've got a small one, doesn't have two pouches but could get everything in. I'll look into one like that.

Can't smoke in a bar, but can on outside patios etc. I'll try the masking tape idea. HBT strikes again!

TyTanium said:
No tricks. Yes, light it. Columbus, Simcoe, and Saaz were the favorites.

Citrusy, spicy, clean, and very aromatic. Subtle. Fun brewing tradition.

For some odd reason this makes me feel like I'd test positive, and since I'm not on welfare......

These are Swedish pipes. All it says is Swedish Dollar on the pipe. The bowls are screwed on and a little peice of sponge sits under it. Not the best photos. They are a good smoke actually.

I need to get a better camera. These aren't the best pictures.

Has anybody seen anything like these before?

Pipes  profile.jpg
pipe 5.jpg
pipe 4.jpg
pipe 3.jpg

UPDATE, because you care:
Stopped by a real tobacco shop last night. Picked up sample sizes of black cavendish, royal cavendish, and morning pleasure. So far I tried the black, and although nice and aromatic it was too wet I think. Morning Pleasure has been the best so far. Will smoke again on Friday.

The wife said that me smoking a pipe is "the opposite of cool". I think I'll keep it.

Cool pipes Dan. Never seen that before (but I know that is what you were describing the other day). Of course, I've not studied a lot of pipes either so...

Smoked a bowl of that Balkan Sasieni last night in a Cob. I admit I was really put off by the smell of the tobacco but, DAMN! Has to be just about the best non-aromatic blend I have smoked to date. Amazing smokey-earthy-tobacco flavors from that one.

The wife said that me smoking a pipe is "the opposite of cool". I think I'll keep it.

Hahahahaha. Yeah. The first time my wife walked in on me while I was smoking a pipe the only words out of her mouth were "Who are you kidding?"

Not sure what she meant but I don't it wasn't meant in kindness.

That pipe you posted Dan looks just like the one I eventually found out was meant for weed. In case you were curious, cigarette tobacco tastes nasty out of them...

That pipe you posted Dan looks just like the one I eventually found out was meant for weed. In case you were curious, cigarette tobacco tastes nasty out of them...

Funny how that works eh? Considering most of todays quality tobacco's are reserved for cigarette production.

It's too bad most pipe tobacco's are so heavy that if you do inhale, it's like sucking on the chimney of a steam locomotive. i could drop cigarettes completely if I could get enough nicotine from smoking a pipe. Good Snus is too hard to come by and import Snus is too expensive. I am just not sold on the eCig yet. I'd like to try but I am a skeptic. For all we know, those thing could kill ya'! ;)

Lol. My buddy imports his snus and complains about the price all the time. Cigarette tobacco we used was probably pretty crappy. I was on a backpacking trip in Israel with two friends and we decided to buy a pipe from a hookah vendor and tobacco at a liquor store. Then tried to smoke without doing any reading, knowing about packing, etc etc. Disaster.

Lol. My buddy imports his snus and complains about the price all the time. Cigarette tobacco we used was probably pretty crappy. I was on a backpacking trip in Israel with two friends and we decided to buy a pipe from a hookah vendor and tobacco at a liquor store. Then tried to smoke without doing any reading, knowing about packing, etc etc. Disaster.

Most cigarette tobacco's are either Burley or Virginia. The former, I've read, is not a very good smoke unless it is cased. we all well know that cigarettes are cased with nicotine additives. At least pipe tobacco's are up front about what casings are used for flavorings.

I love smoking a pipe as it makes the stupid crap that I say seem intelligent when holding one. My only issue with smoking while drinking is it seems to burn my taste buds and mute the beer's flavor. Suggestions!

UPDATE, because you care:
Stopped by a real tobacco shop last night. Picked up sample sizes of black cavendish, royal cavendish, and morning pleasure. So far I tried the black, and although nice and aromatic it was too wet I think. Morning Pleasure has been the best so far. Will smoke again on Friday.

Black cavendish smells wonderful in the pouch and when I smell somebody else smoking it but I've noticed it does need to dry out a bit before it smoked. Very wet tobacco for sure but when the moisture content is correct a beautiful smoke.

My Virginia no 1 arrived in the mail yesterday. I thought I had ordered a tin but it was an 8 oz bag. Was a little dissapointed that not in a tin. But man it smells so good and it is not super moist like the tinned stuff. Probably brewing this weekend and that tobacco is going to take center stage!

I love smoking a pipe as it makes the stupid crap that I say seem intelligent when holding one. My only issue with smoking while drinking is it seems to burn my taste buds and mute the beer's flavor. Suggestions!

I found English blends over aromatics, longer stems and slower draws help a lot. Every time I'm in a rush I get tongue bite.

Edit:
Adding one of my pipes. A London Briar

20120417_165551.jpg

20120417_165617.jpg

These are Swedish pipes. All it says is Swedish Dollar on the pipe. The bowls are screwed on and a little peice of sponge sits under it. Not the best photos. They are a good smoke actually.

I need to get a better camera. These aren't the best pictures.

Has anybody seen anything like these before?

View attachment 77182
View attachment 77183
View attachment 77184
View attachment 77185

Are the bases and stems metal? The idea is similar to a Falcon or one of the other metal stemmed pipes with a screw on bowl.

Turfmanbrad said:

Keeping moisture and the gurgle down are the best things to prevent pipe bite. Slow draws are key, and tobacco quality can make a difference as well. If you get moisture built up, run a cleaner down the stem to wick it up.

Are the bases and stems metal? The idea is similar to a Falcon or one of the other metal stemmed pipes with a screw on bowl.

Nope the stem, base of the bowl and threads attached to the bowl are vulcanite (hard rubber)

The bowl itself is briar. These are actually very cool smoking pipes with the exception of the vulcanite threading.

I'm talking myself into packing one up with the McBarren's Virginia #1 right about now, but alas can't because I'm in the house. Maybe on the half hour car ride to work tomorrow!

Back