Belgian Blond Ale SWMBO Slayer - Belgian Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled this today and took a quick sip...definitely had that clove flavor profile. Looking forward to cracking one open

Pretty sure I screwed this one up. I followed the extract instructions which called for 5lbs of flaked wheat (I thought it seemed strange but Im a new brewer so.....).

I can imagine this is going to turn out thick/possibly disgusting. Should I just toss it now?

theshoe82 said:
Pretty sure I screwed this one up. I followed the extract instructions which called for 5lbs of flaked wheat (I thought it seemed strange but Im a new brewer so.....).

I can imagine this is going to turn out thick/possibly disgusting. Should I just toss it now?

Let it ride

Just bottled this. Being somewhat of a novice, I'm still trying to iron out my overcarbonation issues. Per TastyBrew's calculator, I used "Light Ale- Blond Ale (2.3-2.6)" as the carbonation style. I didn't see an area for "Belgian Blond." This will be fine, right?

Just bottled this. Being somewhat of a novice, I'm still trying to iron out my overcarbonation issues. Per TastyBrew's calculator, I used "Light Ale- Blond Ale (2.3-2.6)" as the carbonation style. I didn't see an area for "Belgian Blond." This will be fine, right?

Well, we're 2 days after the fact, so I'm hoping I chose the right style. Not much foot traffic around here, huh?

Brewed this beer previously with great results... Def. the best beer I have made yet.

How do you think this beer would be effected if I use the Trappist WLP500 or WLP530?

I wanted to brew this beer using WLP500/530 then use the yeast cake for a belgian double or tripple. Has anyone tried something similar?

Brewed this beer previously with great results... Def. the best beer I have made yet.

How do you think this beer would be effected if I use the Trappist WLP500 or WLP530?

I wanted to brew this beer using WLP500/530 then use the yeast cake for a belgian double or tripple. Has anyone tried something similar?

Would definitely bring out a fruitier element, especially if on the high temp side. Just be careful that if you serve this beer to a general public consumer, the flavor profile may be a little out of their comfort zone... for the first pint at least. :p

Brewing this up as a 10 gallon batch on Saturday with my cousin who has only done extract. I may convert him to all grain on this one. Planning on using the Safale T-58 for this one, their Belgian strain. It'll be my first Belgian of any sort.

Just kicked the keg of this yesterday. Must say it was quite tasty and went alot faster than I expected it to. Thanks for the recipe will definitely be adding this to the tobrew list...again. Just my .02 thanks for the recipe was very worthwhile brewing this up.
Happy brewing all

squeekybobo said:
Brewing this up as a 10 gallon batch on Saturday with my cousin who has only done extract. I may convert him to all grain on this one. Planning on using the Safale T-58 for this one, their Belgian strain. It'll be my first Belgian of any sort.

Brewed it up. Hit 1.055 instead of 1.053. Not too shabby! Bubbling happily away right now.

How long have people let this sit before kegging it? Just curious...

GilSwillBasementBrews said:
I went three weeks till I kegged and it went fast.

Nice! I like that turn around. It'll probably go at least 4 weeks with mine, due to the galaxy IPA on tap (fruity delicious), and the Ruination clone on week 2 right now. Depends on if I can add another tap to the kegerator on the cheap...

image-264544982.jpg

Here's mine... Almost fully carbonated, but another few days an it should be perfect. My first foray into Belgians. Not too shabby!

A very good beer. Let it age a little longer in the keg. Threw a party & it was the 1st beer kicked!

I plan on cold conditioning in the keg for another week before diving in to it. :)

squeekybobo said:
I plan on cold conditioning in the keg for another week before diving in to it. :)

I lied. Got into it later that night. Brought some to some friends tonight, an they wanted to buy some from me. I told them its illegal, but they can buy the grains next time and I'll brew it for them :)

Yes - this one is certainly a winner and well named. SWMBO always complains when we get to the last 6 pack on this one. Almost as much as when she found out what SWMBO meant.

My wife usually doesn't care for my beers. Brewed this one up and serving tonight and I think we have a winner :). Got some other folks coming over for a little party tonight so will have to see how everyone else feels about it. But if SWMBO likes it I'm golden.

Brewing this tomorrow, first time AG and first time BIAB. Should be a fun learning process, and I cant wait to finally make the jump to AG. Everyone still using WLP0400??

Just brewed this today. My first try at All grain, no sparge, BIAB. Went pretty smooth. A learning process for sure. Was a little low on my OG, but I am pretty sure I started with way too much water. Went by BeerSmiths recommendation, and I had almost 6 gallons in the fermenter. Kind of surprising. Oh well, more beer :)

My results:
OG - 1.052
Starting vol. 7.5 gallons
Ending Vol: About 5.9 gallons
Brew Efficiency (beersmith): 78% :rockin:
Not sure if the efficiency is totally right as it is hard for me to measure my post boil volume accurately.
Used a starter and pitched at 72 deg F. We shall see how it goes!

Cheers

I pitched my yeasts way too early. Followed everything else right, just pitched at well over 100 degrees. Got impatient. What do I do?

Wait 3 or 4 days for signs of activity. Repitch if you don't see anything after 4 days. And drink a homebrew as punishment for your impatience.

So, I made this a few weeks ago and its only at 1.014. I wish it would have went lower. I pitched a decent sized starter thinking it would tkae it a lot lower. Anything I can do to lower the gravity??

How long should it be in primary? I know the real answer (hydro readings), but does it need 3-4 weeks in primary to clean up? I am not planning a secondary with this.

Also, I am getting a pretty nasty smelling nose. But the hydro sample tastes decent. Anyone else find this??

So, I made this a few weeks ago and its only at 1.014. I wish it would have went lower. I pitched a decent sized starter thinking it would tkae it a lot lower. Anything I can do to lower the gravity??

How long should it be in primary? I know the real answer (hydro readings), but does it need 3-4 weeks in primary to clean up? I am not planning a secondary with this.

Also, I am getting a pretty nasty smelling nose. But the hydro sample tastes decent. Anyone else find this??

I think 1.014 is within the sweet spot for this beer. I wouldn't sweat a few extra points. In future batches, lower your mash temp by 2-3 degrees and let the mash rest for 75 minutes. That will help the beer attenuate more.

My batch was two weeks and was fine. This is a wheat style beer so it is best drunk fresh.

Begian yeast stinks like zombi @ss. It will pass.

^ Thanks for the info! Ill keep an eye on it and take 1 more reading. I am pretty sure its done. Im probably going to transfer to a keg next week and maybe let it hang for a few days then carb.

Well, after 3 1/2 weeks in primary, I transferred this to my keg. When transferring, I measured the gravity and it was right at 1.014. Not bad, but WOW, what a terrible smelling beer. To me and the wife, it had a very strong sulphur smell. Not much of a beer smell, but a very strong off smell. Smells a lot like the smell I was getting from the fermentor. Its not pleasant at all.

As for the taste, its tasing a lot like wheat, or grain. I am not getting any of the nice belgian style esthers of clove, banana, spice notes. Its just a stinky, very grainy flavoered beer.

Mind you, this was my very first AG beer in my BIAB setup. Not sure if thats the cause. Pretty sure I let it mash for 60, even though my BeerSmih shows 75 minutes. Could this cause the problems Im having?? I dont want to dump the beer, but its smell is pretty bad. Letting it rest in the keg for a week or so before I decide what to do with it.

Well, its still, according to me, friends and SWMBO that my batch of this sucked. Im sure the recipe is fine, but this sucks. I am going to try some orange peel, coriander and let that sit for a few days. Hope that helps this beer.\I really want to love this beer.

Well, its still, according to me, friends and SWMBO that my batch of this sucked. Im sure the recipe is fine, but this sucks. I am going to try some orange peel, coriander and let that sit for a few days. Hope that helps this beer.\I really want to love this beer.

I would set that all aside for about a month then retry it.

Well i finally got to taste this today. This was my brew from hell lol. If it could of went wrong it did from running out of gas to it starting to rain to cold crashing and have it turn into a slushy. I have been brewing for a few years and this brew for what ever reason was loaded with problems mistakes etc. but after all the aggravation there was no way i could just walk away after this nearly froze i had to try it and I'm glad i did. it is pretty tasty and i will make this again just to see how bad my screw ups this go round effected it.

Well i finally got to taste this today. This was my brew from hell lol. If it could of went wrong it did from running out of gas to it starting to rain to cold crashing and have it turn into a slushy. I have been brewing for a few years and this brew for what ever reason was loaded with problems mistakes etc. but after all the aggravation there was no way i could just walk away after this nearly froze i had to try it and I'm glad i did. it is pretty tasty and i will make this again just to see how bad my screw ups this go round effected it.

You may have improved the beer. In which case you will want to document with great detail all of your screw-ups so you can repeat those screw-ups and repeat your brew with consistency.

:mug:

Back