Starter is thick like pancake batter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toy4Rick

Reaction score
Hey gang,

So I had this Hef yeast in the fridge, 2 batches actually, one from Sept and the other from Dec. I didn't think it was much and wasn't sure about the Sept batch.

Normal 1 ltr starter, nutrients... 20 hours later it reached high krausen, 10 hours after that it is thick like pancake batter.

Guess it was all good :rockin:

My question is this, since I don't think I should pitch it all, what is the best way save this off at this time?

Also, I plan to brew tomorrow night, will it last until then or should I chill it until I'm ready?

Thanks in advance
Toy4Rick

The one from September seems like you are pushing it, but as far as brewing tomorrow night, just leave it out at room temp. If you were brewing in a few days or a week, then fridge it. If the batch that yeast came from was good, you should be good to go.

Its all in 1 starter so my concern is over pitching at this point since it went off so well.

Should I split it or pitch it all

Toy4Rick

Save a vial, or small amount for the next starter, and pitch the rest. I am suspect about over pitching, yes is it possible for off flavors? Perhaps, but is it also possible for a quicker ferment if temperatures are held constant within their optimum range, absolutely.

IMO, pitch it all, keep your ferm temps within the range they belong, and enjoy your beer sooner :)

I don't have the book on hand (gave it away to a good buddy), but according to JZ and Chris White's "Yeast", (from what I recall), the only real downside to overpitching is possibly fewer esters, fewer flavor compounds and a more 1 dimensional flavor aspect from the yeast. Make sure you let it ferment out for the typical timeframe though, to make sure that off-flavors like the diacetyl precursors have time to be scrubbed away before you bottle. Just because you get to final grav sooner, don't think that means that you can bottle and enjoy immediately, that's the thinking that capsized Schlitz

Back