Lager yeast and stir plates.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got a stir plate for Christmas and I want to use it with lager yeasts, but when I make a starter I usually ferment the starter at close to fermenting temps. My question is how many people make a starter with lager yeast at room temp? Or can I put the stir plate in my lager freezer for the starter?

Well, I am two lagers in and I started with the yeast on a stir plate at room temp. Both turned out fantastic in my opinion.. Possibly the wrong protocol? Maybe, but I was quite happy with the end result.

If I have the time, I prefer to ferment my starter at the same temperature as the main batch. Yes, you just put your stir plate into your fermentation chamber.

Having said that, I've had good luck with fermenting at room temperature. You want to make a very large starter (as per Mr. Malty's recommendation), let it ferment out, then chill and decant.

If my fermentation chamber is empty I like to put the stirplate(s) inside. If it has a resident beer fermenting I'll do it on the kitchen counter. Like others have said, just make sure you crash cool it and decant as much of the beer from the starter as you can before pitching.

Back