Vanilla Flavor Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evets

Reaction score
Hi guys,
My son, who is a newer brewer than even myself, would like to add some vanilla flavor to his upcoming cream ale brew. I believe he is using a "Brewers Best" extract kit. I was thinking maybe a little vanilla extract in the secondary, maybe?

That works fine, I put vanilla extract in my brown ales some times. If you do it in the secondary or in the priming pail, you can adjust it. I'd use an ounce in five gallons to start.

Just make sure you dont add to much, i tryed adding some to a bottle of beer i added a little then tasted it, a little more then tasted it, then i was at the to much point were it was probly a ounce in the bottle, Lets just say it was good at the 1st little point, but at the 2nd... it was bad.

I added 2 ounces to my Brewers Best Cream Ale in secondary and will be bottling in the next few days. I'll let you know how it tastes at bottling and after about a week.

JRGSPE73 said:
There's a recipe on this forum for a Caramel Vanilla Creme Ale that has been getting rave reviews...quite a few people have made it, and I have yet to hear of a batch coming out bad. Credit to Cheesefood for coming up with the idea.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=19258

Might be worth looking into. :mug:
+1
I have that brew in the secondary right now, as soon as I get a chance before heading up to Washington next week, I would like to bottle it. Maybe take a sixer or two for the friends up there.

Okay, so I cracked open one of my Vanilla Cream Ale's last night. Only been bottled for a week, but I always drink one at 1 and 2 weeks. Nice head, tasted good, but NO vanilla taste at all.
When dumping out the dregs of the secondary after bottling I noticed a strong vanilla smell. I had added 2 oz of vanilla extract to the secondary. I just dumped it in. Should I have mixed it in some boiled water or something before adding it? COuld the extract have just settled right to the bottom?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Insults on what a dumb-a** I am?

Bottled mine a couple of days ago and it smelt good, real strong vanilla taste and smell. I guess in a week I'll see if it turned out like yoors. I added 4 oz's when priming, so I'm hoping that I will still be able to taste the vanilla.

I just started the vanilla caramel cream, and I put two ounces in the primary. I'll taste it before secondary and see how it is. I want a hint of vanilla, but I don't want it to taste like candy (or worse- cream soda!) I think I will taste before any additions so that it's LESS than what I want. I can add some more during priming, too if I think it needs it. I wonder if the vanilla might get stronger tasting the longer it conditions, or if the vanilla will mellow.

Lorena

Has anyone tried a real vanilla bean. I cook a lot and every once in a while I'll use a vanilla bean (sometimes in a salad dressing). There is a huge difference in flavor and aroma. I would think the aroma it would add to a good stout would be great.

There's a recipe on this forum for a Caramel Vanilla Creme Ale that has been getting rave reviews...quite a few people have made it, and I have yet to hear of a batch coming out bad. Credit to Cheesefood for coming up with the idea.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=19258

Might be worth looking into.

Sounds awesome...I keep reading that original thread and it sounds so good. Unfortunately, it winds up being a kinda expensive brew. :( Definately need to splurge and try it sometime though... especially with my homemade vanilla extract.

:fro:

I would really try the vanilla Bean. You can put it in whole or better yet slice it down the middle and then drop it in. The flavor and auroma are unmatched. I know this from cooking not from brewing.......but my neighbor is an expeirenced brewer and he recently used 2 vanilla beans of pretty good size and his beer had almost to much vanilla flavor taking away form the porter flavor. hope this helps.

Reverend JC said:
I would really try the vanilla Bean. You can put it in whole or better yet slice it down the middle and then drop it in. The flavor and auroma are unmatched. I know this from cooking not from brewing.......but my neighbor is an expeirenced brewer and he recently used 2 vanilla beans of pretty good size and his beer had almost to much vanilla flavor taking away form the porter flavor. hope this helps.

So, when would you add the bean?

im brewing a vanilla cream ale on the 4th...cant wait.. im using cheesefood's recipe as well.. got my stuff today..however i am going to use vanilla extract.

Evets said:
So, when would you add the bean?

Good Question. Let me run across the street and ask the neighbor as he is a more seasoned brewer than myself(only on my second batch, but a self proclaimed great cook otherwise). If i remember right he adds it in the boil with about 10 min left, but i will check and report back. stay posted.

The Reverend

I just bought the ingredients for a version of cheesefoods recipe on the other thread. i plan on using vanilla beans and my lhbs offers 3 in a pack. I plan on using one in the primary and 2 in the secondary. The guy at my lhbs said don't let the beans sit more than 2 weeks because they tend to sour and split them in half when you put them in. any comments?

My LHBS helped me put together a Caramel Vanilla Cream recipe that is going on two weeks in the bottle right now. I used 2 beans, split and cut (4 pieces per bean) then soaked in about 1/4 cup of rum during the boil time. The rum and beans were then added to the primary. Smelled great transferring to secondary and when bottling and tasted really good when I bottled. Wish I could tell you about the finished product but just had ankle surgery and don't want to mix beer with oxycodone. Plan to try at Thanksgiving and will update then.

Added honey to Brewers Best Dortmunder with Wyeast Red ale yeast and then used honey to prime. Splash of vanilla in bottom of glass prior to pour. EXCELLENT.
Its now all gone. Best beer yet.

Last batch BB Dortmunder with 1 cup honey and 1 oz Vanilla at 5 minutes. English yeast. Then at priming 1 cup honey and 3 oz Vanilla. Bottled x 1 week the refrigerated to drop yeast. Couldn't stand waiting for it to settle so tasted. Excellent, we used an orange honey so it has slight orange taste. Great vanilla aftertones and overall very good flavor.

We never use the yeast in the kits we usually use red ale or english ale liquid yeast.

I would add the vanilla right before bottling. There is no need for it to be in there longer. Otherwise, if it is still bubbling in the secondary, a ton of that beautiful vanilla aroma and flavor is leaving the airlock with the CO2.

Back