Maris Otter Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcott

Reaction score
Does Maris Otter Malt have sufficient enzymes to mash it (and some crystal 40L) on its own, or do I need to throw in some 2-row?

Yes, it is considered a base malt and has plenty of enzymes/diastatic power. Think of it as British 2-row.

Maris Otter is such a beautiful malt. :) One of my favorite beers is an ordinary bitter with all Maris Otter with just a bit of biscuit. Fermented with Wyeast ESB, it's not too thin, and it drinks VERY easily!

Maris Otter is such a beautiful malt. :) One of my favorite beers is an ordinary bitter with all Maris Otter with just a bit of biscuit. Fermented with Wyeast ESB, it's not too thin, and it drinks VERY easily!

Gad... dangit... now you've gone and made me thirsty!

Actually, my next brew will be a SMaSH with MO and Yakima Goldings. I can't friggin' wait!

MO is a variety of 2-row barley, which is almost always floor malted. It is as effective as other 2-rows.

Yeap MO is a fine base malt, I use it for pretty much anything that isn't Belgian. Pair it with an English yeast and you are in beer heaven. :mug:

Crystal 40 is already converted anyway so it could even be steeped...

Back