Grain Order

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgster

Reaction score
I'm looking to do a grain order and due to where i live i have to not only order online but drive an hour to pick up the grain. I have traditionally used NB for all my supplies and was planning on using them for the grain order as well unless there are other good options i'm missing.

Given the trouble in getting the order i wanted to order enough to last for a few batches and i notice some of the grains have considerable discounts when buying in 50lb bags. I'd like to get enough grains to experiment with recipes for at least 5 batches maybe more. Any suggestions on a grain bill for the order, a 50lb bag of row 2 seems like a good start.

I hope to make some great american pale ales and malty english style ales :mug:

Thanks!

I would buy a bag of Rahr two-row (US), as it was about $37 the last time I was there. Also, some maris otter malt, preferably by Crisp, if they have it.

The US two-row is great for American styles, and the maris otter is great for English beers, as well as a character malt in American styles. If you want to make German or Belgian beers, as well as have another choice in base malts, a continental pilsner malt would be a good choice.

Maris Otter was next on my list, glad to see it has a second vote i have only done kits in the past and haven't attempted any recipes on my own. Maris Otter will definitely be on the list.
TY!

I have started to order in bulk as well. I am finding so far that a 50-55 pound sack of base malt seems to last me around 3 brews, (10 gal. batches).

I have about 50-60 lbs of specialty grains across the board. Mostly 5lbs of each. with the exception of 10lbs of 60L, and 7lbs of oatmeal flaked.

I try not to order huge amounts because of space limitations. Plus I get the grain delivered to the door and in good time. So I have no need to do major bulk buys.

As for hops, I bought 3 different kinds at 1lbs each.

How I decide on what/how much to order was based on what I love to brew, and some things I want to try. I'll fine tune my stock as time goes by.

It is very comforting to know that I can brew any time I get the urge. And can adjust a recipe anyway I desire.

Anyway with what I just told you and, your knowledge of how often you brew, you should get a good idea on how much and what to order.

pb --- hope I helped some

Are you getting this shipped? If so it might be cheaper if you have a LHBS close. I can get prices online about $45 for 50lbs. If shipped it goes into the neighborhood of $75. At my LHBS is is about $50. You can also look for a local group buy.

As to the types to get I like what Yooper suggested. I always have a 2 row (US, German, now UK) and Maris Otter on hand. Whenever I buy specialty grains for a recipe I get twice as much so I have some on hand for spur of the moment recipes.

I have started to order in bulk as well. I am finding so far that a 50-55 pound sack of base malt seems to last me around 3 brews, (10 gal. batches).

I have about 50-60 lbs of specialty grains across the board. Mostly 5lbs of each. with the exception of 10lbs of 60L, and 7lbs of oatmeal flaked.

I try not to order huge amounts because of space limitations. Plus I get the grain delivered to the door and in good time. So I have no need to do major bulk buys.

As for hops, I bought 3 different kinds at 1lbs each.

How I decide on what/how much to order was based on what I love to brew, and some things I want to try. I'll fine tune my stock as time goes by.

It is very comforting to know that I can brew any time I get the urge. And can adjust a recipe anyway I desire.

Anyway with what I just told you and, your knowledge of how often you brew, you should get a good idea on how much and what to order.

pb --- hope I helped some

Very helpful indeed! I was thinking about either 5 or 10lbs of a handful of specialty malts as well so i think that is what i will do, when the grains are not crushed what type of shelf life should i expect?

Are you getting this shipped? If so it might be cheaper if you have a LHBS close. I can get prices online about $45 for 50lbs. If shipped it goes into the neighborhood of $75. At my LHBS is is about $50. You can also look for a local group buy.

As to the types to get I like what Yooper suggested. I always have a 2 row (US, German, now UK) and Maris Otter on hand. Whenever I buy specialty grains for a recipe I get twice as much so I have some on hand for spur of the moment recipes.

I live about an hour away from the Maine / New Brunswick border so what i'm doing is driving across the border to get the grains shipped to a box. Closest decent LHBS would be in Bangor Me about 3 hrs away, closest canadian homebrew store (that carries anything other than extracts)... i have no idea but i'm guessing halifax which is 4 hours away would have a hefty marked up pricetag! I am going to be in Bangor on the 24th of July i will have to call ahead and see what their prices are like.

Very helpful indeed! I was thinking about either 5 or 10lbs of a handful of specialty malts as well so i think that is what i will do, when the grains are not crushed what type of shelf life should i expect?

From what I've read here, uncrushed, if properly stored, can last a year.

pb

Thanks, that is what i thought.... if the grain lasts over a year id say i'm not brewing enough!

Back