First starter does it look done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrRoboto

Reaction score
This is a starter that was pitched about 30 hours ago, I cold crashed it about two hours ago.. It is WLP300. I didnt have a stir plate but I used a foam stopper and swirled it by hand frequently. Does it look like its ready to use in the morning?

IMG_0070.jpg

Cant really tell from the pictures. If its done there should be a nice bed of yeast on the bottom of the flask and the starter liquid above it should start to clear.
You can smell it and see if it smells like beer.

Ok heres better pics, the smell doesnt really smell like beer more like funky wortish smell...

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

looks fine make sure to decant most of that fluid off and taste an oz or so if its sweet you could of used more time. It will get you in the groove of when your starters are done if you do this frequently..."funky" is not a great way to decribe a starter also

That looks like a finished starter. I think i would be a little worried about the funky smell, but it just may be the yeast and temperature at which it was fermented.

Latest posts

Back