Which is the best Growler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnstormer

Reaction score
I just started kegging my beer and was thinking of buying a growler or two. I have looked at the cheap screw top glass growlers and the nicer swing top's. I also found some stainless growlers at kegworks.com that look pretty nice. I did look at the brauler but cant find anywhere to buy it.

I guess I am just looking for opinions from anyone that uses the different styles to see which is the better option and the best bang for my buck. I think I am leaning towards the SS one just because it may last longer.

Thanks!

I like the glass with the swing top. Pro for the SS model.. if you can find it.. is it will chill/keep chilled w/ice faster than glass. Con w/SS is you can't see how much is left. Do they provide a dipstick? :D

Just speaking as a consumer I greatly prefer the glass swing tops. They seal better and just look cooler. If a brewery offered both swing top and screw top glass growlers I would pay the extra for the swing top.

I use swing tops mostly. I loan out my screw tops to friends who visit, that way if they go missing I'm not out so much.

Never tried stainless, I'll have to look into that.

The homemade kind of course. :D

I made this Mega Beer Bottle - Giant Beer Bottle Growler from a Budweiser Bottle Glass Piggy Bank, replacement growler cap, and an old car antenna.

It holds 2.25 Liters of beer, is 16" tall, and weighs 8 Lbs when full.

It was quite simple to build, I just had to cut the antenna and make 2 replacment parts, and one additional part for the growler replacement cap.
Giant%20Beer%20Bottle%20Growler.jpg

Gregscsu said:
The homemade kind of course. :D

I made this Mega Beer Bottle - Giant Beer Bottle Growler from a Budweiser Bottle Glass Piggy Bank, replacement growler cap, and an old car antenna.

It holds 2.25 Liters of beer, is 16" tall, and weighs 8 Lbs when full.

It was quite simple to build, I just had to cut the antenna and make 2 replacment parts, and one additional part for the growler replacement cap.

Bravo.

Thanks for the replies! I actually have a giant beer bottle exactly like that. I'll have to look into converting it the same way. Why didn't I think of that!?!

I prefer the ones I get at the brewery because they're free when you buy the beer inside.

I took a screwtop to a party and the host threw out the cap because she thought it was garbage. The swingtops are always connected so the cap will never get lost or thrown out.

I got my swingtop for $20 filled with Pliny!

+1 on the hydro flask. I have a 64 and 24 oz model and they are awesome. Hydro flasks will keep your fluids cold for a long time.

Back