Can I drink my Yeast Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeoitsmatt

Reaction score
So... i made a yeast starter with 1cup of DME in 2 cups of water, cooled it, pitched a little bit of yeast i harvested into the Growler and forgot about it. Here i am 5 days later and i went to harvest the new batch of yeast and poured some into a glass... it looks like beer, tastes like a beer,... a flat beer... but a beer no less...
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine? It was white labs 550 Belgian.

Yes, but don't drink the sediment, or I wouldn't. It IS beer. Making a starter is making beer, albeit in smaller quantity. Harvest the sediment into sanitized jar and store in fridge. Next brew day set it out early to allow it to rise to room temp, then pitch it as usual.

Yes you can drink it. Tell us if it makes gas in your stomach.

Starters that are made on a stir plate have excess oxygen and taste nasty.

It will probably clear you out. Having a great night on the crapper, but I could be wrong! But yeast usually makes you wana crap!

First time I made a starter I couldn't resist seeing what the 'beer' tasted like when I decanted on brew day. Well, it's now very easy to resist, it wasn't horrible but it wasn't good either. Tasted like you'd expect, flat, ester-y, unbittered beer.

can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?

lol, for some reason your wording here just cracked me up...

Don't be afraid to drink the starter "beer" or the yeast. I've never gotten gas or diarrhea from drinking yeast, I swirl and drink the sediment out of the bottom of the bottles on all my homebrews (separately from the beer so not to ruin the taste). Hell it's good for ya! Why waste what people pay money for as a health supplement?

http://voices.yahoo.com/the-health-benefits-brewers-yeast-47964.html?cat=5

So... i made a yeast starter with 1cup of DME in 2 cups of water

As a side note, 1 cup DME in 2 cups water seems like a REALLY high gravity starter. A cup is somewhere around 4-5 ounces and you should be using more like 3oz per QUART of water for starters.

Sometimes I use hopped wort for my starters and drink a little. Not great, but I've had worse things to drink in my life...

It actually was very clear bc i put it in the fridge for 2 hours before i tried it. I had about a pint and a half and felt fine; no side effects. Harvested the yeast and pitched it into a fermenting raspberry wheat. it turned out great. I only used 1 lb of raspberries but i think the competing yeasts made it a bit sour which didn't hurt the beer.

i have half a keg of non hopped beer i would gladly give you lol.. was a science experiment with extract.... NEVER AGAIN!!! although i did drink half the keg with a buddy(had nothing else and wanted to get drunk) i have some turning into malt vinegar, at least i can do something with it lol

I am drinking one right now. Tastes banana-ish, like a hefe, but without the wheat. I taste everything. Ive had starters that I would rather drink than a miller!

Back