AHS Apocalypso Opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah this bastard goes gang busters on the airlock no doubt! I didn't have a blowout with this one. However it was a hard fermentation.

Mine came out a golden as well. Here's a pic in some decent light in the bottling tube. It came out very clear I cold crashed and added gelatin.

photoapocalypso.jpg

Yeah this bastard goes gang busters on the airlock no doubt! I didn't have a blowout with this one. However it was a hard fermentation.

I've brewed seven of these so far, six extract and an AG, all using Nottingham yeast, and they have all had massive blowoffs. I don't even use an airlock any more, just a hose stuck in the stopper running into a bottle of water.

Just brewed this a few days ago. I did the mini-mash and over shot the OG a bit, 1.058. It is interesting to see so many using Notty. I myself, used the Wyeast Greenbelt, the AHS exclusive yeast

I will brew this beer again. Still haven't kicked the keg that I brewed when this first came out. It's a very good beer!

I wanna give the AG version a shot but add some crystal 60/80/90 to get a bit more body. That was my one glaring critique, and i'm assuming the reason why they included maltodextrine.

I've drank 3 bottles over the past few days -- wasn't supposed to taste until a week from now but I couldn't resist.

Overall a very good beer. Showcases the Calypso hops nicely with notes of pears and apples. Perhaps a hair too bitter -- it drinks like a weaker American IPA. Either backoff the hops just a tad or balance it with some more malt. I also used Notty yeast, in hindsight I really wish I would have gone liquid as it would have had a little more character from the yeasties instead of the clean Notty.

2011-10-06_17-43-36_196.jpg

I'm brewing this tomorrow and was wondering if everyone was doing a late extract addition. Also I'm using a 5 gallon carboy for this with fermcap s, has anyone done this?

I didn't do a late addition but I would totally do it if I ever brewed this again.

Back off the bittering hops 15%, add maybe 1/10th of the extract at the beginning of the boil. I'd add the malto and the rest of the extract for the last 15 minutes.

And I'd probably increase the flavor/aroma hops by 10%

I brewed up a batch and added a 1/2 pound of honey malt to it, came out great. I'm calling it a light IPA. Might have to make this a regular brew.

I brewed up a batch and added a 1/2 pound of honey malt to it, came out great. I'm calling it a light IPA. Might have to make this a regular brew.

I could see honey malt being a good addition. Thanks for adding your input, I might have to keep that in mind some time. I like the idea of adding honey malt to just about any basic recipe in order to add some sweetness.

This promotional kit will run out some time this month. Once we run out of the hop the kit will not be available.

Forrest

Thanks for the head's up Forrest. I just ordered an all grain kit today. Can't wait to brew it.

Almost a month after brewing the all grain kit (with the new recipe) I finally kegged this American pale ale. I cold crashed it for 10 days at 39f (work happens). It came out quite clear from the first pour. Nice white lasting head. Very little aroma other than subtle (but obvious) fruity pear and apple notes. The aroma is completely unique (as is the taste). This fruitiness is nothing like those produced by esters or phenols. Taste is mildly bitter and probably on the low end of APAs. There is some of that unique apple and pear flavor. Very drinkable. Mine rang in at almost 6pct abv. I like it and think others will too but it is very unique.

image-1551043571.jpg

Latest posts

Back