San Diego Summer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDCore

Reaction score
Hey, So I just got done brewing my first beer. It was an irish red and its bottle conditioning, it looked and smelled good so I'm happy with my setup. Now my next question would be what would be a good beer to brew in the summer in San Diego. It's a good 75-80 degrees during the day, I could successfully keep the fermenter around the 66 to 70 degree range with an water bath and switching out ice a couple times a day. I was wondering if anyone had any good AG or PM recipes that can ferment at those temps since its hard to get it lower. I also don't have a secondary fermenter as of right now but I'm looking into buying one. I love Pales, IPAs, Ambers, and basically anything, I'm open to suggestions. thanks

I'm in Encinitas. Started with an Irish Red myself about two months ago. Turned out great. Someone said to me, brew what you like. I went straight to a big IPA partial mash kit (Hop Head Double IPA from Midwest) and added a touch extra hops (you know, its a San Diego thing ;-). My fermentation took several days to get started for reasons I don't quite understand. I bottled last night after 2 weeks in the primary and three in the secondary. It tastes great at the start but has a touch of sourness at the end. Maybe an acetaldehyde problem. Not sure. Hoping it mellows in the bottles. Next I'm going to try my hand at an all grain "brew in a bag" of a Ballast Point Sculpin IPA clone. Hope I do OK, its an substantial investment just for the hops (9 oz for 5 gal).

There are a lot of ales that will ferment happily at 66°F. Search the recipe section to find a recipe you might like.

Brewitt.. GL with Sculpin that is an amazing SD Craft Brew... Thanks for the advice. I think I'm gonna go with a Dead Guy Clone or maybe just an AG that my friend who is a brewer told me to do.

the yeast will be more temp dependent than the recipe itself for the most part

1056/wlp001/us-05 or wlp007/us-04 should work out great at those ranges with a water bath and will work for most recipes, esp hoppy ones

Latest posts

Back