Wyeast 1056 closer to 60°F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's pretty sluggish. 3 days in from 1.055 I'm only at 1.042.

I pitched a 1.25l stir starter too.

Has anyone else found this to be the case? I moved it to high 60s ambient now.

I use 1056 for most of my beers. I just did a hop nog IPA (1060 og) my fermenters are at a steady 62 at the moment and there's a lot of activity. about to replace 2 airlocks with blow off tubes before I have beer on my ceiling again

I use 1056 for most of my beers. I just did a hop nog IPA (1060 og) my fermenters are at a steady 62 at the moment and there's a lot of activity. about to replace 2 airlocks with blow off tubes before I have beer on my ceiling again

I have tons of krausen.

I just looked at the instructions on the back of a 1056 smack pack. it just saise after pitching adjust to desired fermentation temp but doesn't indicate if there is an IDEAL temp range

I can't really speak to what something would read at 3 days. I usually don't start poking around until ~3 weeks.

That being said, I've used S-05 at 59* many times with no attenuation issues. Just a nice clean/crisp product.

1056 is my normal yeast. I ferment at 62-63 degrees in the winter, and it will take a bit longer to finish than at 65-66, but it still creates a nice finished beer. Depending on the wort, I find 5-7 days at lower temps vs. 4 days at mid to upper 60's. I actually prefer the beer fermented cooler, honestly.

I just started mine. I have it at a much higher temp currently at or around 76-78 I believe.

It's pretty sluggish. 3 days in from 1.055 I'm only at 1.042.

I pitched a 1.25l stir starter too.

Has anyone else found this to be the case? I moved it to high 60s ambient now.

Yes. I usually ferment with ambient temp of 60*F and use 1056 quite a bit. It works, just takes a little longer; but you still get a thorough, clean fermentation with it.

Would you think that my temp of 76-78 is too high for this yeast? or would it be fine. I am kind of new with this. I have used wyeast 3068 before which temp control was essential for the flavor profile, but is it the same with 1056?

Would you think that my temp of 76-78 is too high for this yeast? or would it be fine. I am kind of new with this. I have used wyeast 3068 before which temp control was essential for the flavor profile, but is it the same with 1056?

According to Wyeast, the range for 1056 is 60-72*F....

Keep in mind, at 76-78*F ambient air temp, you're beer is likely a few degrees above that....

http://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=5

At least spend $2 on a fermometer or something. Ferm temps will always be higher... I've had ferm temps 8° higher than ambient on beers that weren't exactly fermenting vigorously to begin with. Ambient temps just aren't a great indicator of the conditions the yeast is dealing with, which is ultimately the only thing that matters.

Anyone try 1056 at say 52 degrees? I might try super over pitching to see if it's possible (as in entire pack into 1 gallons or something like that).

It got going, and was down to FG in about 8 days. About 81% attenuation.

I racked to secondary, and OMG I think it's going to take forever in there, it's still SUPER cloudy. It's a gen 2 culture, but I have never seen a beer going into secondary this cloudy.

You will most likely get hot alcohol at those temps. I've gotten noticeable heat at 74 F from this strain.

Back