Dry Hopping 1st time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Currently brewing my second batch an extract/w grains APA. Instructions with kit say to add 0.5 oz. Cascade hops after 4 or 5 days in primary. Probably wont rack to secondary seeing as all I could use is a 6.5 gal glass carboy. Is there an issue with hop utilization if I try the method of placing the hops in a muslin bag with some marbles or should I let them float free? Will the aroma get stronger the longer I leave the dry hops in the ferm? Thanks RR

No real issue if the bag isn't packed full. After a week, you've got about everything you get. I'll pull the bag and put in new hops if I want more impact. I've done three on one beer and it wasn't even an IPA.

If you get concerned about filtering out the free floaters, try this:

Hopstopper_2.jpg

Hopstopper_3.jpg

what i did is just as pictured above and it worked great. infact i am enjoying an apa right now!!! it has been in the bottles for 3 wks now and it is really good already. i would throw them in and filter later. good luck.

When I dry-hopped my IIPA a couple weeks ago, I put the hops (2 oz) in a muslin bag and let them float on top. I just dry-hopped my IPA Tuesday with 1 oz that I just poured into the secondary before racking on top. The bag was kind of a pain to deal with, so I want to see if free-floating hops are easier to handle.

I currently have an IPA in secondary with an ounce of Styrian Goldings for dry hopping, and the damned pellets just formed a green layer on top of the beer. I gently spun the carboy back and forth and managed to get some of it to sink, but there's still a solid green covering on my beer. I think I'll need that filter on my auto siphon. :)

Dry hopped no bag for the first time myself. Same green layer on top. I shook it also and a little fell to the bottom or into suspension. I think it may have been better to just leave it on top until racking now... Oh well, I'll filter it somehow!

Ridge Runner said:
Probably wont rack to secondary seeing as all I could use is a 6.5 gal glass carboy.

I have used my 6.5 gal as a secondary many times without any ill effects.

SilkkyBrew said:
Dry hopped no bag for the first time myself. Same green layer on top. I shook it also and a little fell to the bottom or into suspension. I think it may have been better to just leave it on top until racking now... Oh well, I'll filter it somehow!

No problem. Same thing here and this was the solution. Clear brew now.
Hopstopper_1.jpg

Hopstopper_2.jpg

Hopstopper_3.jpg

Back