hops in steep bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGBrewer

Reaction score
Do you all put your hops directly into the wort or do you boil them in a steeping bag? I have been using a steep bag but it comes out with only about half as much comes out the rest stays in the wort. Wouldn't this affect the bitterness?

If you bag the hops up too tight it will definitely affect the bitterness levels. If I'm using whole or plugs, a lot of times I'll put them in a BIG bag so they are not bunched up at all.....I've seen no difference doing it this way compared to directly adding them to the boil the straining them out.

I always throw em right in the wort. They settle out inthe prmiary and secondary. You can filter if you want, but I am too lazy.

BeanPot Brewery said:
I always throw em right in the wort. They settle out inthe prmiary and secondary. You can filter if you want, but I am too lazy.

Ditto - I throw 'em right in - they find their way out eventually.

I throw them into the wort without bagging.. They only time I have ever used a bag was when I was using whole hops because that can make racking a pain due to the stopping up effect...

Its fun to add the hops directly to the boiling wort.

They (the pellets I used) instantly dissolved and made green foam which took 10 seconds to rise to the top. Be prepared to stand over the pop stirring for the entire hour of boiling.

Then I poured the wort into my primary through a boil bag as a screen. Once no no more would go through that boil bag, my friend picked it up and gave it a good squeeze.

Then I put another boil bag into the funnel and we poured some more. Took about 7-10 bags to do the whole batch.

Other people use screens but I wanted to squeeze every last drop of juiciness out.

Back