Wyeast Thames Valley Ale 1275

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USM_Eagle

Reaction score
I'm planning on making a Rye IPA. I was fooling around on beersmith and AHBS and found these little guys.

I'm a noob and haven't used this strain before, I know it is used in bitters (based on yeast description) but it also sounds rather interesting and I thought why not?

But since I have never used this yeast before I was hoping to get the feedback of any who have.

Thanks,

Michael

I used it the Northern Brewer IPA kit. That beer turned out AWESOME. It was by far one of my best batches.

I have never made (or even tried) a rye beer, so I can't comment how it would work in that particular scenario. But for an EKG hopped IPA, it rocks.

I hope that helps a little.

I used it the Northern Brewer IPA kit. That beer turned out AWESOME. It was by far one of my best batches.

I have never made (or even tried) a rye beer, so I can't comment how it would work in that particular scenario. But for an EKG hopped IPA, it rocks.

I hope that helps a little.

Yes it does.
Thanks

Speaking of the Thames Valley strain, does anyone know if it is the same strain as the White Labs Burton ale strain? It is listed as being the same on that yeast strain chart on Jamil's website, but the two are described completely differently, specifically in flavor/aroma, attenuation and optimal temperature.

zombie....

King Brian, you mention there's a site that lists optimal temperatures.....can you direct me? I've been over mrmalty's site and can't find the info.

basically, i'm looking for the optimal temp of Thames Valley.

Been meaning to pick up some Thames Valley to do some Cigar City cloning. Last I heard it was their house strain. I'm not sure if they use it in all their brews but they definitely have some good brews I'd like to clone.

I used the Thames Valley II strain in a single malt "Colonial Pale" using British Golden Promise and American hops. It is a terrific summer beer with a crisp palate and slight malty sweet from the grain. More hoppy than the English Pale, giving it the Colonial designation.

Man is it tasty!

Very nice strain, fermented at basement temps, in my case around 62 F. I have a calibrated thermometer and pretty sure about this temp.

Be sure to do the diacetyl rest to clean it up.

Cheers!

Check wyeast and white labs web sites for optimal fermentation temperatures and attenuation estimates.

Back