American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greatest. Post. EVER!
I did a Google search earlier today for a DFH IPA clone and found nothing too intersting. Then I just started parusing the HBT recipes for something to make instead, and low and behold! And so much information!!! I know what I'm making this weekend! Thanks Yooper.

Thanks for the extract recipe Yooper, just ordered my ingredients and should be brewing it up on Sunday.

Question about hop substitutions. Neither of my two LHBS currently supply any of the three hops listed in the ingrediants! What would you recommend for substitutions?

In my opinion, there isn't any good substitute for the combination of simcoe and amarillo. I mean, you could use centennial and cascade, but it would totally change the beer. Simcoe and amarillo together are the key to that specific flavor that I've loved in this beer.
Any neutral bittering hop would work for the warrior, though.

jacksonbrown said:
Question about hop substitutions. Neither of my two LHBS currently supply any of the three hops listed in the ingrediants! What would you recommend for substitutions?

Go online and order them http://homebrewheaven.com/

they have both amarillo and simcoe and it should only be about 5 bucks shipping(if you are in the US). so load up on as much hops as you can get for that 5.00 shipping.

I think AHB has them too.

Austin home brew has them, thats where I bought mine. I'm glad I didn't substitute any of them , this stuff smells incredible even while it's fermenting.

13 Pounds 2-row (US)
6 ounces Maris Otter malt

How would i turn this into a DME recipe? or half DME recipe?
Anyway??

See post # 27, something like that for the DME version. I'd use the hopping from post # 29. That's for 5 gallons, with a 3 gallon boil. For a half of a batch, you could half that.

jacksonbrown said:

thats the challange with this beer..Amarillo I think can be replaced with the C's and be close..but simcoe on the other hand, u just can't get anything even close...I plan to do this again as a 10 gallon batch, I just have enough simcoe to do it..It is a very tasty beer, so if u can get simcoe..save it for this recipe..and don't waste it on anything else!!!!!

well unless u want to make this..which is freaking great as well..and full of simcoe..
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=32939
Jay

Ok, so yeah this bottle is only 3 days old and not very carbonated but damn this is some good beer. powerful grapefruit aroma with some apple and pine in there too and the flavor is really nice. I am going to have to do this again but next time it's all grain, all the way.

Thank you Yooper.

Good job stever! Bottling mine this weekend....thanks to some encouragement from Yooper. Snuck a little taste, best green beer I've had!

I tasted the sample I took when I transferred to secondary yesterday, holy cow is this tuff tasty. I could drink it now just like it is. I'm really looking forward to next week after the dry hopping is finished. Thank you for a great recipe Yooperbrew. I will probably keep this one on tap year round.

What are you brewing with? extract, partial mash or all grain? You can find the all grain on the first page and the extract recipe is on page 9 I think.

I'm still liking the original best. I did NOT really like the last one with maris otter as the base malt and a pound of crystal. Just 2-row and then a little amber malt or maris otter added to it works the best.

I never tried the extract version, but the others said it's pretty good.

YooperBrew said:
I'm still liking the original best. I did NOT really like the last one with maris otter as the base malt and a pound of crystal. Just 2-row and then a little amber malt or maris otter added to it works the best.

I never tried the extract version, but the others said it's pretty good.
Out of interest, what did you think the problem was with the MO as base malt? I ask because we can't get American 2-row here, so I use MO as the base in almost all my recipes.

Danek said:
Out of interest, what did you think the problem was with the MO as base malt? I ask because we can't get American 2-row here, so I use MO as the base in almost all my recipes.

Well, it was too malty and sweet for me. Now, some of that was undoubtedly the crystal, but the MO presence was too much. If I had just MO, I'd skip the crystal and see if that helped.

YooperBrew said:
Sorry about that. :(

RichBrewer said:
Sorry about that. :(

Well, it wasn't your fault! It seemed like a really good idea at the time. I thought the maltiness would be an asset to the beer, especially since it's such a big beer. But I didnt' care for it. It wasn't bad or anything- it just wasn't as good as the original. I'm glad I tried it, though.

I had the craziest dream last night......I kept opening this cabinet and there were DFH 60's and 120's in there.....I could totally see the labels....but when I tried to drink them they were like molasses and I could barely get a sip.....:(

YooperBrew said:
Well, it was too malty and sweet for me. Now, some of that was undoubtedly the crystal, but the MO presence was too much. If I had just MO, I'd skip the crystal and see if that helped.
Thanks Yooper - when I get hold of the hops, I'll try an MO-only batch.

I kegged my batch yesterday morning and force carbed it. I had to sneak a little taste this morning. This is going to be a good beer, I doubt I will be able to let it sit and age properly, it tastes good right now.

Finally brewed up another batch of this. With out a doubt one of my favs..I would say my version of Lake Walk and this are my best brews..I did a 10 gallon to split into a keg and bottle..OG 1.069..so for my first full 10 gallon batch and figuring our my volumes and boil time this is very good that I am this close....

Jay

This beer turned out fantastic, we kicked the keg two days ago and we miss it already. My wife said that it was a better IPA than anything we have been getting in a bar. We stopped at a local microbrewery and tried their IPA and I have to say this one was much better. This was easily the best beer I have made yet. I'm going to place an order soon to start this one again.

Thanks Yooper..........

I finally got around to making this one, I did an extract and it should be the best that I've made to date.

I've been waiting for some time to give this brew a go. I was going to make it on Sunday but got too busy putting the keg tower together. But I'm all set for this weekend. I was going to use a London Ale yeast, but am now thinking about tossing it onto the yeast cake from BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde (I used Wyeast 1056 American Ale) as it's ready to be racked to the secondary. Any reason to reconsider?

Well my bouble batch is aging as we speak..I mixed it up a bit and dry hopped one with 2/3 Amarillo and 1/3 Simcoe and the other with 2/3 Simcoe and 1/3 Amarillo.

just to mix things up a bit..I mashed a bit lower this second time around at 153 and ended up around 1.014.

Jay

I just pulled a pint of this from my kegerator - wow. What a great beer, tastes spot on to the real thing. Great recipe Yoops!:mug:

I just tapped the keg yesterday for the first time. Delicious! I did a side by side with a DFH and found a few small differences.
Mine came out a bit lighter in both color and body. Not a problem for me.
Mine was not nearly as bitter. I think that can attributed to my continuous hop method. I think I waited too long between additions. How long do you take to add the Warriors? What I did get was a nice, light, ale, with a dry finish, and an amazing grapefruit aroma and flavor. It's really strong, but adds a very nice edge, and is nothing I've experiencecd before. I like!
I'll definitely be making this again but won't take as long to add the hops. Thanks Yoopers!

I also thought grapefruit at first but then I concluded it was more like passion fruit. Either way it's a great beer.

Mine came out darker and stronger than the 60, it reminds me more of the 90 minute. I'm not complaining, it's fantastic. I have all the ingredients to make a second batch but it's too hot out to do it.

a few thoughts on this recipe..I have made it a few times with a few alterations..and have noticied as it ages it seems to bitter more. I know this seems strange..bitterness will not change over time..but possibly the sweetness from the hops mellows and brings a bit more bitter? Yooper have you noticed this? Im talking 3 to 6 months of age..

I made a double batch and went with a dry hop 1oz simcoe and .5 amarillo and .5 simcoe and 1 oz amarillo to mix it up a bit..not a clone but still great.

J

a few thoughts on this recipe..I have made it a few times with a few alterations..and have noticied as it ages it seems to bitter more. I know this seems strange..bitterness will not change over time..but possibly the sweetness from the hops mellows and brings a bit more bitter? Yooper have you noticed this? Im talking 3 to 6 months of age..

I made a double batch and went with a dry hop 1oz simcoe and .5 amarillo and .5 simcoe and 1 oz amarillo to mix it up a bit..not a clone but still great.

J

I have never noticed that it's different with age- but.........it never lasts long enough to age at my house. Even my non-IPA-loving husband likes this beer because of the hopping. It makes sense though, that the "fresh" hops would fade and then the bitterness would be more pronounced.

I changed the bittering hops this last time, and did half at 60 minutes, with the rest added continuously until gone. I think I like more bittering, or maybe next time I'll try FWH again with that half. This is going to be a house beer- I like it that much.

Wow, great thread! I was having a pint of DFH 60 last night, thinking 'I need to make a beer just like this!'....I saw the extract version, but is there a PM version as well? 4 lbs is my standard grain bill.

Back