Looking for opinions on this turkey fryer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used something similar for the first time this year. The turkey came out great, and it also freed up the oven for other stuff. Try it, you will like it. Agreed, the extra propane burner will be useful for brewing.

I used something similar for the first time this year. The turkey came out great, and it also freed up the oven for other stuff. Try it, you will like it. Agreed, the extra propane burner will be useful for brewing.

What kind of cooking oil did you use and where did you buy it from?

Thanks for you opinion on this setup. I am going to pull that trigger soon.

Peanut oil is the #1 choice; cottonseed oil is a good second, and slightly cheaper. I think Walmart carries the oil, otherwise hit up Scheels down in Coralville. You don't want to use vegetable oil - the smoke point is too low. You can usually buy the oil in 3-5 gallon bottles, and depending on the size of your bird, you might need a second one to get the job done.

Check around a little bit more. You can get a setup with everything shown there, except for the smaller pot, for about $20-30 less. While the smaller kettle may be handy for fish fries and such, it's not necessary - you can do the same job with the large kettle. Definitely get one with the steamer basket - opens you up for seafood or steamed veggies, as well as monster sweet corn boils in the summer.

I didn't think of checking at Scheels for the oil. I have been looking online and have not yet found another place that sells a burner, basket and other hardware at a much cheaper price but I imagine there will be some sales soon.

Thanks for the reply. Where is Sac City, Iowa?

I didn't think of checking at Scheels for the oil. I have been looking online and have not yet found another place that sells a burner, basket and other hardware at a much cheaper price but I imagine there will be some sales soon.

Thanks for the reply. Where is Sac City, Iowa?
Northwest side of the state -- hour east of Sioux City, hour west of Ft Dodge.

In other words... Middle of nowhere :)

One thing that I have seen on more recent set ups is a drain valve built into the pot. It makes draining the oil so much easier. I agree that the smaller pot would be luxury and not necessity. Bass Pro Shops carry the ones with the drain but I don't know the price.

Back