Gasket fell into wort- did I ruin my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedore

Reaction score
Another 'Did I ruin my beer' thread- looked through the stickies.

Was brewing a 5 gal batch of IPA, my second batch (first was with a 1 gal BBS kit). Did everything I needed to do; sanitized everything like there was no tomorrow and continually washed my hands with antibacterial soap and sanitizer (I'm a med student and a rotation on the surgery service got me in the habit of keeping sterile) between steps.

My primary is a 6.5 gal plastic bucket. When it came time to put the airlock on, I made the mistake of forcing the airlock into the rubber gasket on the cover while it was on the bucket, which made it fall into the wort. I flipped out and thought about washing/sanitizing a pair of metal tongs or serving spoon to look for the gasket. But I didn't want to scrape up the plastic surfaces and it would have taken forever to blindly grasp at it. And maybe since I was mildly drunk (DWB ya know) I decided to wash my right arm with soap and sanitizer, and stick my arm in there to find the gasket.

In retrospect, it was dumb as hell. Even though I'd been washing the crap out of my hands and using sanitizer on everything, I feel that all it would take is some bacteria hiding in my fingernails. What I should have done was to get a clean trash bag, sanitize it and wrap it around my arm before sticking it in there.

It's been 4 days and fermentation is proceeding as expected. Consistent bubbling in the airlock with a good aroma and slowing down as time goes along. But what do I need to be looking for as clear signs that my beer is ruined, at this point in time? Or is the proof only going to be in the pudding?

I tell myself that my continuous hand-washing and sanitizing equipment/hands gives this batch a fighting shot, but how screwed am I? Anyone have a similar brain fart experience, and how did it go?

you're probably fine, I've reached in (not quite that far) when taking hydro samples and haven't had an infection. Just keep an eye on it and if it starts to grow a fur coat, you are likely in trouble.

It should be fine.

The best answer would have been to leave the gasket in there and maybe take a wrap of electric tape around the stem of the airlock to seal it.

That's an awesome thread.. hopefully it should be okay.

Feeling a bit better about all this. I agree, I probably should have left the gasket in there. Wasn't sure what else I could do other than the trashbag idea that I belatedly thought of after the fact. I suppose taping it to get a good seal would have done the trick.

I'll let you guys know in a month how it turns out!

I did the exact same thing the first time I brewed with a bucket fermenter. Star-san'd my hand and arm and went in after it.

It was a Hefeweizen... it has by far been the best Hefe I've ever brewed. So... I wouldn't worry too much.

Gary

from the thread logan posted:

I was moving my kettle to a bucket of ice for cooling and my dial thermometer popped off the rim and fell into the wort.
Without really thinking I sprayed my arm with StarSan and fish it out. I continued the process normally
but was pissed that I let that happen. It's been about 7 weeks now and the beer tastes excellent, and getting better each day.

Wort pH, the antibacterial nature of hops and yeast eating up all the sugars before most bacteria get a chance to, make it really tough to get an infection unless you step pretty far out of line.

I had to double check to make sure I wasn't the OP. I made a Hairy Arm Pale Ale over the summer while looking for part of my auto-siphon. With a sanitized arm the beer turned out fine, and I ended up finding the part on my kitchen counter.

I had to double check to make sure I wasn't the OP. I made a Hairy Arm Pale Ale over the summer while looking for part of my auto-siphon. With a sanitized arm the beer turned out fine, and I ended up finding the part on my kitchen counter.

I actually lol'd at that (and I'm at work, funny looks all around)

On my second batch I ever made I dropped the bottle caps into the bottling bucket and without thinking stuffed my whole arm into the beer sleeve and all (don't ask). It turned out to be one of the best extract beers I ever made

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place but, I don't know how to start my own thread. I need some advice please. I just finished my first all grain brew. It went well until the wort chilling. I'm brewing a a Bud Light clone, (to peak the wife's intrest to loosen the purse strings for a brew stand). I borrowed a copper wort chiller from my friend who introduced me to brewing. While chilling the wort, at about 80 degrees, it went very wrong. The exhaust side hose clamp was loose, and water, "squirted", into the wort. I quickly pulled the chiller out, but the hose came off the chiller, and further contaminated the wort. I did not know what to do, so I put the wort back on the burner, and brought it back to a boil. I fixed the chiller, resanitized it, and rechilled the wort. I transfered to the carboy, cast the yeast, put on the airlock, and hoped for the best. That was three days ago. The first two days, there was an aggresive fermentation. The wort in now very cloudy, and the airlock has almost stopped. The kroisen is a wierd greenish/brown color. Is it ruined? What should I have done to save this brew?

how long was it boiled? if you go to the beginners page there is a "new thread" option at the top left above the announcements.

The initial boil was for 60 min., but the second was for just a couple of minutes. I have read other post here that say that the airlock is not a good indication of fermentation. The airlock has stopped completely.

The initial boil was for 60 min., but the second was for just a couple of minutes. I have read other post here that say that the airlock is not a good indication of fermentation. The airlock has stopped completely.

Not a problem. The ale yeast goes through the sugars pretty fast and in the process they emit CO2. Once the sugars are gone the yeast start in on the intermediate compounds that they have made and they give off no CO2 during this part of the ferment. There is activity in the beer but nothing that shows to the outside. Relax, have a cold one, and let the yeast finish the process. From start to finish may be anywhere from 10 days to 10 weeks depending on the OG and the amount and color of steeping grains with the darker grains taking more time. it won't hurt your beer to stay in the fermenter longer than the minimum time either. I left a brown ale for 9 weeks and got a really smooth beer from that.:mug:

Thanks for the input! I was concidering dumping it and starting again. I'll see it through, and hope for the best. If it turns out to be bad, I'll at least have the expierence, and know what to look for.

To follow up on the OP: I bottled this batch a few days ago and it smelled delicious. A dry sweetness. Actually didn't have any leftover beer as I barely filled up bottle #48.. although that bottle got a nice dose of air so maybe I should have just drank its contents on the spot.

Will let you guys know how it tastes in a few weeks! Thanks for confirming that I should RDWHAHB.

Back