Coffee Oatmeal Breakfast Stout, Pick apart my recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CS223

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First totally amateur attempt in Beersmith after gleaning a number of similar recipes.

TYPE: All Grain

Batch Size 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 31.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 39.0 IBUs

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

9 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter
10.0 oz Oats, Flaked, Toasted
8.0 oz Black Barley
8.0 oz Chocolate Wheat Malt
1.50 oz Fuggles Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent Boil 30.0 Hop
1.0 pkg SafAle S-04

4.00 oz Coffee, French Roast in Secondary

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 10.0 oz
Mash @ 156.0 F 90 min
Mash Out 168.0F 10 min

I like everything, except I would be tempted to split that coffee up to 2 oz at flameout and 2 oz at secondary.

I've seen oatmeal stouts with up to two pounds of oats in the grist, I would suggest upping yours to at least a pound, though I am a big fan of oats in most malt-forward beers. I think the Chocolate Wheat Malt will turn out interesting, let us know what kind of character it ends up giving the beer.

By the way, from a recent recipe I heavily suggest sparging if you're going to do BIAB on a style with a fair amount of roasted grains.

This isn't necessarily a criticism, but more of a question: wouldn't the MO's softer notes be completely overshadowed by the black and chocolate malts? Why not just use 2-row?

This isn't necessarily a criticism, but more of a question: wouldn't the MO's softer notes be completely overshadowed by the black and chocolate malts? Why not just use 2-row?

I chose MO simply because the brew I'm trying to clone uses all English malt. In the grand scheme, it may not matter, I don't know.

Back