1L starter + 500 ml starsan = ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

29thfloor

Reaction score
I just made a 1L yeast starter and forgot to dump the starsan out of the flask before adding the wort and yeast. It was about 500ml of starsan solution. I'm guessing I don't have to worry about an infection but is the starter still usable? Will that much starsan lower the ph too much? This might be one of the dumbest things I've done so far

That is a high ratio or starsan. If it ferments and smells okay then you could go ahead and try it else I would fall back on the trusty dry yeast or start over on the starter. I would certainly be concerned with that much starsan pre fermentation you would think that it would kill some of the yeast.

Consider it a true "Yeast washing" as opposed to yeast rinsing like most everyone does.

Crash, decant, and re-wort. If you have activity in a couple days, you're fine.

It smelled ok (if a little starsan-y, if that makes any sense) and there was definitely activity so I just let it go overnight, crash cooled the next day while I was brewing and then decanted most of the liquid and pitched the rest. We'll see what happens. It's not even 24 hours later and there's already a pretty healthy kreusen.

Luckily this is the French Saison yeast (Wyeast 3711) so I think it'll take more than a little starsan to slow it down.

Back