Opinion on which yeast to use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcdowd

Reaction score
Brewing up a pumpkin ale soon (a little late I know) and was just wondering which yeast I should use between S04 and Notty. I know the spices and pumpkin will be the main attraction so maybe the strain doesn't matter as much. Anyway, what do you all think I should use? Will it really matter?

Disagree. Very different tastes. Did a 10 gallon batch of mild a few months ago. Half got the S-04, half got Notty. S-04 all the way.

Idk, you can ferment notty damn low and get a nice crisp taste out of it. Which I think think would go well with a pumpkin beer. I haven't tried 04 that low though.

I like the idea of an English strain, but am not a fan of S-04. I used WY1469 Yorkshire and it's incredible. Don't have a comparison to anything else though.

Idk, you can ferment notty damn low and get a nice crisp taste out of it. Which I think think would go well with a pumpkin beer. I haven't tried 04 that low though.
I also like fermenting on the lower end. The Nottingham version had a very strange twang that took almost a month of aging before it became drinkable, S-04 was delicious as soon as it was force carbed. This is the first time I've had a problem with Nottingham, but have read very mixed results from other people over the past couple years. It used to be my emergency reserve yeast. Now I keep extra S-04 and US-05 on hand.

I would use the 04 for this. It seems to attenuate a little less, and lends itself to maltier beers. Nothing is nastier than a really dry pumpkin ale. The spices get really harsh without the sweetness.

I also like fermenting on the lower end. The Nottingham version had a very strange twang that took almost a month of aging before it became drinkable, S-04 was delicious as soon as it was force carbed. This is the first time I've had a problem with Nottingham, but have read very mixed results from other people over the past couple years. It used to be my emergency reserve yeast. Now I keep extra S-04 and US-05 on hand.

I'll have to try this out then, since they pretty much cost the same anyway.

Back