Added to little bittering hops to Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbird01

Reaction score
So I just brewed 11 gallons (wincing) of this amazing LHB Milk Stout clone. With nighttime brewing sometimes comes extreme fatigue (and a bit :drunk:)

So.....I needed to add 0.75 oz Magnum bittering hops...Did the whole lay it out flat and divide the pie thing and sure enough I added the wrong piece of the pie...it just hit me like a ton of bricks. Takes my IBU's from 24 to 11 and my IBU/SG from 0.37 to 0.17.

Wondering if this is going to be way to sweet. I only pitched 1/2 of the batch, so if you have any suggestions for the pitched/unpitched batch please let me know. This guy already has 2 lb of Lactose in it. The US-05 doesn't leave much sweetness, but the lactose combined with low bittering hops seems like bad news to me. Any suggestions?:confused:

You can add hops later if you feel the need, like a hopshot or something. At least you didn't overhop it. You may actually like it just fine this way. Lactose really isn't that sweet actually, even though it adds to the FG it's only 1/6th as sweet as fructose. Just wait and see how you like it, and see if you can get a hopshot or else make some hoppy tea.

You can add hops later if you feel the need, like a hopshot or something.

Read the info for hopshot at Northernbrewer. Seems like it is a boil addition. Anyone try it post session or post fermentation for bittering?

cbird01 said:
Read the info for hopshot at Northernbrewer. Seems like it is a boil addition. Anyone try it post session or post fermentation for bittering?

True, it looks as though it has not been isomerized. Even boiling it in a small quantity of water would probably get you a more predictable result than using leaf or pellet though.

Just heard back from the Northern Brewer Rep on the Hop Shots - not for use post fermentation. Looks like I will have to dish the big bucks for the Iso hopextract. I have had some suggestions to add cocoa jibs for bittering in secondary.I really didn't want to impart too much chocolate flavor on this. Really just want to makes sure the sweetness is balanced. If cocoa nibs can be used that way without making it too chocolatey I would consider it.

cbird01 said:
Just heard back from the Northern Brewer Rep on the Hop Shots - not for use post fermentation. Looks like I will have to dish the big bucks for the Iso hopextract. I have had some suggestions to add cocoa jibs for bittering in secondary.I really didn't want to impart too much chocolate flavor on this. Really just want to makes sure the sweetness is balanced. If cocoa nibs can be used that way without making it too chocolatey I would consider it.

I've never heard of using nibs for just bittering... I think hop tea is your best bet. Just boil a half ounce of high alpha hops for 45 minutes until the liquid is reduced to a pint or so after straining and dump her in.

Back