Information on kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahaley

Reaction score
So I may be asking for hate mail here but... I've been considering using kegs, can I get an unbiased pro and cons of kegs as well as how much 1 standard quality one will cost / how to use them / what they need to carb / maintain?

Honestly I've only seen like 3 kegs ever lol. I used 1 and I pumped it to get the beer out. Is that a standard keg old fashioned? Thanks in advance guys! :)

Actually reconditioned soda kegs are the norm now. There are two connector styles. One is "Pin" lock and the other is "Ball" lock. The ball lock kegs are still being manufactured, the pin locks are not. So if you decide to do pin locks there may come a time when you will have diffifculty getting them. All is not lost though, ther is a fitting available to convert Pin to Ball lock fittings so that is really a non issue for now. The Pin locks are about 1/2 the price of the ball locks and are about 2 inches shorter and slightly larger diameter than the Ball lock counterpart. So a good evaluation of your available space may yeild a need to use either one or the other to accomodate their sizes in your kegerator to maximize your storage capacity. There are several grades available in both and this reflects the amount of wear and tear that is on the container. The lower the grade the more dented and scratched they will be. Small dents are really a non issue also, just as long as they are pressure tested and capable of a good seal is all that really matters, unless you would like to polish them and display them when serving. The stainless does polish quite nicely if you wish to devote the time to doing that too. This is a very simpplified and shortened view of kegs and there are several other parameter such as blow off valves and over pressure releases but that is kind of technical and not really important for you at the early stages. Midwest, Keg Cowboy, and my personal favorite Beveridge Elements all offer a kit that will get you started with a basic supply for a very reasonable amount of money. I bought the BE Pin lock kit and an extra keg and have been very very happy with the quality and delivery times from them. Hope this helps, and just for the record I don't think the different fittings are either better or worse, they are just two Manufacturers (Coke and Pepsi) making their product non interchangeable.Have a great day and hope this helps guide you along the path to kegging happiness.

Wheelchair Bob

I started bottling and moved to kegs. My opinion is that they are much easier and much less time consuming. They are more expensive, as you will need a kegerator $450 if you want to buy a pre made one. Or you can make your own, there is ton of info on this forum on how to do it, I like the fact that I built mine, makes it personal. You'll also need a CO2 tank unless you want to hand pump, but that introduces oxygen and will stale your beer after a very sort while (you beer wont last longer than your party) You can use the typical sanke keg, but you have to remove the spear to fill them, most home brewers use the 5 gallon corny keg, as they have a removable lid. You can find them on craigslist used for ~$40. Carbonation is done either by using priming surgar, or by applying CO2 to a specific pressure depending on temperature and letting it work its way into the beer. Carbonating this is quicker too. Maitaining one is easy, a little oxyclean, and some sanitizer before you fill is all you need. Occasionally you'll have to replace the seals and poppets but you can get them fairly cheap from your local brew store. A plus to bottle is that you can take them places to share alot easier than a keg. You can fill bottles from your keg if you want to take some to share. I will fill a growler if I am going to a party and want to bring something.

Wow outstanding, I wasn't expecting such a reply so fast! How do I pressure test it and fill it, is it simple like opening the top and clamping it again? And for the soda kegs, are those different than the beer ones for quality? Or does it depend on the manufacturer? Do kegs prepuce off flavors from being steel or aluminum?

No off flavors, and there's no difference in quality that I've noticed. And yes it is that simple, remove the lid, fill replace the lid. TO pressure test it jst hook it up to co2. you can spray some soapy water on the fittings and see if it bubbles and you'll know if you have a leak

Sounds good... Now just because it sounds like a refrigerator a kegerator is a fridge for a keg?
Edit; for the co2, is that what those cartridges for ( the co2 type that go in airsoft guns and stuff ) is that how I'd pressure test it? What psi is good and what's too low/high? If your guys have a picture of some of the equipment I'd need would you mind posting it or do you think YouTube would have a video for how to set it up?

1 co2 will hook it up? Kegs are sounding a lot more appealing. Lol

Back