How long do you ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karljrberno

Reaction score
1. How long do "YOU" Leave your beer in the Primery ?

2. How long do "You" Leave your beer in your secondary ?

3. How long do "You" Leave your berr in (bottle) ?

I Know OG and FG have a factor , I also know thet lager or ale style yeast play factor , So include the info to help me decide a good range . . . .

Example: I leave my beer with a OG of .060 with ale yeast in my primary for 10 days .

Example: I leve my beer in my sacondary with a OG of .060 for 10 days .

Example: I leave my beer in bottles for 2 or 7 weeks .

So far MY Beers I have been letting them sitt in the primary for 7days and then the secondary for 7days then I bottle and drink after 2weeeks ..

1) 3 weeks.
2) Haven't used it yet.
3) Until I can't stand it anymore and have to try one.

1) A month
2) I don't secondary
3) I keg. So I don't bottle. But when I did, I left my beer in the bottle until I had finished it? Not quite sure what you mean by this question...are you talking about carb time? or just how long you leave it in the bottle?

1) ~3 weeks
2) ~1 week if I need to free up my primary or want to add fun stuff in
3) Min of 3 weeks but I tend to get bored and try a couple throughout the conditioning process

1) About 1 day for every 5 points of OG
2) 1 to 2 weeks (or never) depending on application.
3) for as long as possible (minimum 3 weeks)

1) A month
2) I don't secondary
3) I keg. So I don't bottle. But when I did, I left my beer in the bottle until I had finished it? Not quite sure what you mean by this question...are you talking about carb time? or just how long you leave it in the bottle?

Just how long you leave in the bottle . :mug:

1. Minimum of 4 weeks
2. Don't always use one but have left several batches up to 18 months
3. Minimum 3 weeks but had lots of brews around for several years

1. 3-4 weeks
2. Depends. Sometimes I don't do use Secondary at all, but I usually will condition anywhere from 1 week to 4 months for dry hopping or when adding additions to something like a bourbon barrel ale.
3. Hardly ever bottle anymore, but I wait two weeks before trying one.

The data below accounts for a variety of styles:

1. Two weeks minumum, up to 1 month.
2. I rarely, if ever, secondary. But, 3 months is the longest I've gone.
3. This question isn't specific enough. But... I carb in the bottle at least 3 weeks and let it age as long as it takes me to drink them. Some styles are best fresh so they're consumed quicker. Others are consumed more slowly over the course of several months...

1. 10 days (hefewiezen) to 1 month
2. Rarely secondary but for higher gravity stuff that I want to age or put on fruit or wood I can let it go up to 4 months.
3. At least 3 weeks - it gets better with time. I mostly keg.

I target an og of 1.050 for all my beer. Sometimes a little higher or lower depending on mash output.

I leave my beer in my secondary for 2 weeks.

I leave my beer in bottles for 4 plus weeks before I feel they are matured. But I'm allowed to sample a bottle before that time. I reall think they peak at 8 weeks in the bottle.

1. How long do "YOU" Leave your beer in the Primery ?

2. How long do "You" Leave your beer in your secondary ?

3. How long do "You" Leave your berr in (bottle) ?

1. shortest ever was three days; longest ever is 31 days and counting.

2. shortest ever 4-5 days (dryhopping) longest ever 16 weeks.

3. some is over two years in the bottle and counting.

1. Two weeks, sometimes as long as three

2. Only in certain beers- oaked beers, a barley wine, a tripel.

3. When they are carbed up and taste great, they are ready. Maybe 10 days, maybe as long as 5 weeks depending on the beer.

1. 10 days to 6 weeks (really based on my time availability)
2. never used one
3. one week to 9+

I had a wheat that was in the primary for 10 days, bottle for a week and it tasted good. After another week in bottles it was better, but not night and day.

I have a stout that has been in the bottles around 9 weeks now I think, and some of them are good some still taste green. I wouldn't say its fully conditioned yet (although some friends seem to think they are, so the supply is diminishing)

1) 3 weeks
2) have never used one
3) as long as possible depending on beer supply and desire. 12 ounce bottles seem to carb fastest, so I usually try one after a week, then in another week I'm usually ready for more.

I tried an amber ale once at 1 week and loved how bitter and hoppy it tasted. 2 weeks later it was quite different. Not as much bitter I had liked, but still very nice. In retrospect I kind of wished I'd "tasted" a few more at 1 week before it was done!

:drunk:

1. 2 week primary

2. 2 weeks secondary (because my brew schedule is every 2 weeks and I don't have another primary)

3.3-4 weeks in bottles.
I do generally sneak one or two after 2-3 weeks for a tasting.

1. 3-5 weeks
2. Never
3. Usually have one or two at week one and two. Week three if its ready I throw a 12'er in the fridge and then another 12'er at week 4 and so on til it's gone. 1.060 beers and over I usually wait til week 4 to stock the fridge.

Primary: Until I need the carboy. 3 - 7 weeks

Secondary: I rack to a bright tank to fin, cold crash, dry hop &/or carbonate. I then push to a serving keg. Anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks.

Tertiary(keg):I start drinking and bottling as soon as it taste good. Immediately or several months. (Lagering now)

Bottles: Until it gets drunk. Sometimes right away but I try to save some to see how it ages. I have some > 15 years old and they taste as nasty as when they were made :D

1. 2 weeks min, month and a half max.
2. Depends on why I'm actually using it, dry hop, fruit addition, making, giant beer that needs ageing.
3. When I do bottle, first taste is no earlier than 10 days, and after that is dependant on the results of the first taste.
It's all about learning what timeline works for how you brew.

1) 3-4 weeks primary.
2) Have never used a secondary.
3) Usually keg, so bottling . . . two to three weeks warm conditioning, at least another one or two cold conditioning, then however long it takes to drink em.

1. I leave my beer in the primary until I feel like kegging it. Definitely more than a month, I'm sorta lazy, y'know

2. I don't secondary anymore, use those for apfelwein and cider.

3. I don't bottle anymore, see #1

I have beer in fermenters at probably 4-5 months right now. I really oughta get that kegged.

Right after I take a nap.

On my second batch. First was left in the primary for 3 weeks, no secondary, and 2 weeks in the bottle before sampling. Getting better every week. Nicer head by the third week, less "bite" (I thought maybe it was over-carbed, but now I don't). Started a new batch today from a simple recipe . . .something a little lighter than the first dark ale.

Back