How To Brew by John J. Palmer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
If you see people talking about Palmer on the site, this is his book. I have 5 books on home brewing and this is easily the best, most detailed, and easiest to follow. The first chapter, all of 16 pages, will tell you enough to brew an extract batch. The rest of the book explains what you just did and why. There are chapters on how a mash works, what pH is and why it matters and various mashing techniques. He also explains why a simple one temperature infusion will do a good job.

His chapter on designing your own recipes has a wonderful and "pretty crude" guide to changing one ale type to another: "Porter - amber plus 1/2 lb chocolate malt"

John is a metallurgist and shares his knowledge of how using certain metals can change your brew. If you know someone who has ruined an expensive stainless steel pot sanitizing it with bleach, you'll be able to explain why. He also has multiple chapters on making your own equipment.

You don't need to accept my opinion. The entire book is online at How to brew

I consider myself lucky- his online book was the first online content I stumbled upon when I started researching brewing in advance of trying. I thought it was, and is, great!

My LHBS recommended the book to me when I was just interested in homebrewing. Read the thing before I got any equipment. The online version is still a great help, but the book is even better. If you find it, pick it up.

Back