Root Beer...WITH alcohol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinookpilot77

Reaction score
I am trying to find a recipe for root beer that would have 6-8% alcohol in it, be sweet, and carbonated at the end of the time in the bottle. any ideas on where to start? I like IBC and A&W type flavors...just wondering if anyone had tried this. I guess I could just add some neutral spirits to the final mix and make like regular soda...but I'd like to brew some if possible.

Thanks for the help.

Extremely difficult to do, although I've had some success with brewing a base beer, adding root beer extracts and back-sweetening with non-fermentables (lactose and Splenda). Can't say as I'll ever bother doing it again.

That might be a bit difficult since the yeast would eat up most of the sugar during fermentation. You might try modifying something like an apple cider recipe and using root beer to sweaten at the end.

An off hand guess would be a DME/water mixture fermented to your alcohol requirements. Kill off the yeast and then add root beer at the end for flavoring.

Thats a real shot in the dark how it would actually taste in the end though..

BYO magazine has a recipe.

http://***********/stories/recipes/article/indices/51-recipe-exchange/1329-real-root-beer

Sean From NH

Back