Harvest Pacman from Dead Guy Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midlifecrisis

Reaction score
I have a Yooper's Dead Guy AG clone fermenting at 63 F for the past week. The OG on this was 1.067 and I started with a 2L starter which I inoculated with a PacMan Smackpak.

I was hoping to save some extra Pacman for future brews so I started a 2nd 2L starter with a bit of the first starter but I there was not a whole lot of yeast from this (enough for 1 or 2 more starters).

My question is 1.067 brew too high a OG to successfully harvest (i.e. wash) "good" pacman yeast due to stress from the alcohol or should I just stick with making due with what I have for future brews?

I get so much more yeast from a 5 g brew than a 2L starter (obviously) that it seems a shame to not harvest the yeast from the primary.

You absolutely should harvest from the primary! I have several jars of pacman in my fridge, and it works great even months later with a starter. I use pacman yeast in many IPA and APA recipes, and have even used it in a cream ale with good results.

I have a Yooper's Dead Guy AG clone fermenting at 63 F for the past week. The OG on this was 1.067 and I started with a 2L starter which I inoculated with a PacMan Smackpak.

I was hoping to save some extra Pacman for future brews so I started a 2nd 2L starter with a bit of the first starter but I there was not a whole lot of yeast from this (enough for 1 or 2 more starters).

My question is 1.067 brew too high a OG to successfully harvest (i.e. wash) "good" pacman yeast due to stress from the alcohol or should I just stick with making due with what I have for future brews?

I get so much more yeast from a 5 g brew than a 2L starter (obviously) that it seems a shame to not harvest the yeast from the primary.

Don't worry about it, harvest away! I harvested pacman from a 1.091 OG, 100+ IBU double IPA. I pitched a small sample of washed yeast from this fermentation into a 1.055 fat tire clone, and it took it down to 1.011.....then I pitched a 1.095 imperial stout on that cake and am getting a big blowoff mess. This yeast is a beast...it is the most robust yeast I have ever seen....

it is like US-05 and Nottingham had a baby, and that baby grew up, lifted weights and did a ton of steriods.

I tossed the dregs of a Shakespeare Stout into 100mL of starter wort at 4:00pm est. It's now 10:27 and I have a krausen with visible yeast on top. Threw in another 300mL of starter wort and I'm headed to bed. This yeast is ridiculous!

Latest posts

Back