HELP! Need recipes: I've got ex lt DME, xstal malt & colu. hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wareaglebrew

Reaction score
Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster with only 4 batches of extract/steeping grains under my belt. I have brewed nut brown ale, AIPA(yumm), and two american brown ales.

I have 40 lbs of ex lt DME, 14 oz of columbus hops and 5 lbs of crystal malt, 1 oz EK goldings, 1 oz chinook, 1 oz nugget.

I need recipes to get the most out of the rediculous 'buy in bulk' mode I was in. I would like to try some different styles from what I have made previouosly. I never should have bought so much as new as i am to brewing. I need help creating some variety!!

Recipes!! Please!!!

Thanks, Brent

IPA. Definitely!!!!

You can make an all-columbus IPA with some DME and crystal and some of those columbus hops.

But if you want a style you've never done.............you could do an American Amber. You have plenty of hops, but you really don't have much to do an English ale (I'd think a couple of ounces of fuggle or EKG would do it) or many other styles. A few more ingredients would definitely help.

If you could buy a couple of ounces of different hops, and a few other specialty grains, you could do a stout, a porter, English IPA, English mild, California Common, etc.

The crystal and the DME are a great starting point. You'll use that in every beer!

6 lbs dme, a lb of crystal, one oz columbus for the boil, one oz columbus for flavor / finish...say 20 and 5 min, 1/2 oz each, dryhop if so inclined...S04 or S05.

Just a shot in the dark...have fun!

Don't panic over the bulk buy...DME properly stored will last a looong time...as will hops in the freezer.

I made this extract/ grains recipe with Zeus and Centennial hops. Just switch out the Zeus for your Columbus and switch the Centennials for your Chinook.

Zeus and Columbus are pretty much interchangeable. I think it is just a difference in name brand only.

I would slide some Columbus in at flameout too.

That beer was delicious. I'm down to my last 5 bottles and i love each one.

Next brew, I am thinking of an ESB but I only have the one ounce of EK Goldings. Add the DME and 12 oz Crystal 70 to get around 1.050 OG, 10 SRM. Would it be close if I used say 1/2 oz of Columbus for bittering(60 min), 1/4 oz Columbus for flavor (20 min) and then used the full oz of EK Goldings for aroma? I know the columbus can be overpowering, that is why I only put 1/4 oz for flavor. BeerSmith shows and IBU of around 31.

Then I think I would go with Yoops suggestion and try the all out Columbus IPA. What combinations would you suggest for an American Amber?

The crystal is a 70.

ericd, my crystal is 70.

YooperBrew, thanks, yes I do LOVE the IPA and I only have 4 of my last batch :eek:. My Columbus are 12.3 AA, what do you think would be good addition times/oz of them for a 1.065 OG IPA? My last IPA was all Cascade. Also, what would be a good recipe for an american amber with the ingredients I have?

I was thinking about an English Pale Ale, do you think the 1 oz of EK Goldings I have stand a chance of their aroma coming through if I use the columbus as a bittering and flavoring hop or would it just waste the EKG?

And I am definitely making an APA using the columbus as well.

Thanks, Brent

Back