Hops, multiple harvests?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaBBs

Reaction score
First off, I am new to the forum, and started growing hops for the first time this season. I have been brewing for 4 years or so.
All of my plants are first years planted this season from rhyzomes. I have about 13 or 14 Hop plants growing, and with the early growing season in FL I have already harvested the first plant. With quite a bit of time left in the season, I would like to harvest that same plant again. Will new hops grow from the same growth, or do I need to cut it back down and start training the next set of growth?

Thanks in advance for the help.

image-728472379.jpg

Many people get two harvests. Just leave the bines alone and they will produce or not. Either way, the existing bines will provide for root growth and energy storage for next year's bines.

On the Left Coast, my 7-year old plants have just gotten started, some of them. It's been a cold, wet Spring and June isn't looking any better.

Thanks for the response! I wasn't sure if a second batch of hops would growth from an existing bine after the first batch, or if they required new growth. Is there anything different I should do with trimming the plant down even to promote new growth and new hops? Or should I just let it do it's thing and pick what it gives me

Back