cleaning, saving and re-using yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justbrewit

Zythos Conisseur
Reaction score
does any one do this or know how to do it? i'd like to re-use the yeast thatsin the fermenter now, but it has a bunch of hops in it that needs to be cleaned out otherwise i'd just pour the next batch right on top of the yeast cake. can any one help me with this?? this batch thats in there is being transfered to the secondary on wensday or thursday next week and then i'm brewing a new batch. i'm calling it a small ale, i'm taking the kit that i have for the double ipa and splitting it into 2 batches of a lighter ale that will be drinkable in like 3 weeks or so. thanks

Just do exactly what El P's link says and it's super easy...go ahead and do it 2-3 times with your trub and that way you'll have 3 potential starters. I did this for the first time a couple of batches ago with some 1056 American Ale and used it in my last batch successfully. I wouldn't be able to imagine not making a starter with this technique, however, to ensure viability.

This was so easy and cost-effective that I'm planning to just stay on the 1056 for some more batches instead of my usual hopping around. I imagine I'll ultimately wind up with 2-3 different yeasts populating my fridge at any given moment.

One question... it says store for up to one month? Why only a month? I thought you could store yeast practically indefinitely if it was refrigerated?

If the primary has alot of hops and other matter that you don't wont to transfer you can siphon into a secondary when most of it settles out and leave this behind. Give plenty of time in the secondary for the yeast to settle out and use this. There is the argument that this is not the ideal yeast to harvest but you pick and choose your battles.
I make several small starters out of a smack pack from the beginning. Keep these stored in the frig and build them up to pitching volume for each batch. So far I have gotten two months out of the my stock with no problems.

I think one month is definitely pretty conservative, but I don't think yeast stays viable indefinitely. All of the smack packs, tubes, and dry yeast packets have expiration dates on them. I guess the yeasties can only persevere for so long without something to munch on. I would probably go as far as 3 months out as long as my starter fermented pretty well.

Another thing I've picked up reading about yeast farming is that you don't want to reuse a strain for more than 5-10 fermentations (depending on who you read) as the possibility of a mutation starts to increase with each fermentation.

Windaria said:
One question... it says store for up to one month? Why only a month? I thought you could store yeast practically indefinitely if it was refrigerated?
The label on the White Labs vials states: "Best before date is 4 months after bottling".

would i be ok if i just put my other batch right ontop of the trub left in the fermenter? even with the hops in it??

Yes, there are several threads here about doing just that. You only want to do it once, because there will be too much trub left over after the second batch to repitch again.

Most recommend going to a darker beer for the second batch.

i'm doin 2 small beers after this batch and i don't have any more yeast!! it takes forever for them to ship it here. so i figured i'd just use this cake twice then pitch it out! both beers are gonna be pretty hoppy, using 14.4% yakima magnum pellets. i'm going to brew a hops tea and add it to the wort after boil

Putting the next batch on the trub is a great way to have a major mess. The ferment takes off, fast! Great for heavy gravity IPAs, but messy. You could pour the trub through a sanitized sieve and use about 1/2 cup.

Keeping a liquid yeast culture going requires feeding it every two-three weeks, just like a sourdough starter. Pour off the top half of the water, add a teaspoon of DME and top off with cooled boiled water. Changing the water keeps the concentration of wastes down.

i don't mind if it takes off like crazy! i have enough room in my primary. thats just means its be done faster!!! lol

Latest posts

Back